• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer Case Chain Stretch....

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here's one I haven't seen in a while, I don't think I've EVER seen this posted!

When disassembling a transfer case for upgrade (NP231,) and checking the chain for slack/stretch, does anyone have any idea what the accepted maximum is? I just went through my 1990FSM, 1991FSM, 1994FSM, and 1997FSM with no results, so now I'm REALLY curious...

The transfer case in question is out of a 1996, and is showing about an inch of bilateral play with the sprockets in place. There are no apparent abrasions on the inside of the case.

Anyone got anything?

5-90

96 FSM"Replace chain if streched,distorted,or if any of the links bind".
Probably same as in all your FSM,s,No numbers to compare ?
Wayne

Nope - that's why I asked.

I just got back from looking at the thing, and there's no sprocket damage or "obvious" chain stretch - but I'd still like a spec (if anyone has one...) that I could put in my notes. I don't like subjectivity in precision - it's why I'm not a body man or a carpenter. I prefer precision that pretty much anyone can measure...

5-90

5-90 said:
Nope - that's why I asked.

I just got back from looking at the thing, and there's no sprocket damage or "obvious" chain stretch - but I'd still like a spec (if anyone has one...) that I could put in my notes. I don't like subjectivity in precision - it's why I'm not a body man or a carpenter. I prefer precision that pretty much anyone can measure...

5-90
This may be a shot in the dark, but have you tried comparing it to any of the other cases you have that you know aren't stretched?

5-90,

Why the disrespect to body repair guys and carpenters?
There's nothing subjective at all about my dimensions when I build...

I guess you maybe meant the 'tolerance' that is worked to. I don't use thousandths, and usually only go to 64ths...

Back