• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rough idel and hesitation

whitexj98

NAXJA Forum User
my dd is having some problems, its a 98 4.0 with a cone air filter intake. When im sitting at a light it will idel rough, then when i accelerate it studders as im accelerating, and this is the weird part, it has poping sounds from the engine when its studdering, its coming from the engine and it sounds like black cats going off in the intake. it dosn't do this when im ideling, only when accelerating, after i get past about 30 mph it runs fine. Its throwing 02 sensor codes, high voltage, and heater failuer. Iv replaced both sensors, the computer, tps, and cps. It does this when its cold and warm.

where I would start:
check your wires to the o2 sensor and make sure you dont have any vacume or exhaust leaks.

if you dont find a problem in those places check to see your computer grounds and battery connections are all clean and good (always a good thing to look at since it can cause so many problems)

then my next place to look would be in the electrical connections (check and clean all of them with terminal claner) and cps

I know it doesnt sound like a very scientific way to diagnose the problem but in my experience 90% of drivability problems can be solved with those three actions

Back