• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sudden fuel pump failer?

dabeersboys

NAXJA Forum User
89' xj 4.0 153,*** miles, Manual.

Saturday night I started up my car, and took off for a 2 mile round trip. weathers been kind of cold here 20's to 30's then sunday and then today my car wouldn't start.
I check my fuel pressure and i have about a seconds worth of pressure and then no more gas. when i turn the key to "on" i can hear the fuel pump turn on.
Also when I replaced my fuel pump my new empty mark on my gas guage was 1/4 tank. and its slowly the empty mark is just under 1/2 tank mark on my guage.
I was wondering if this is for sure the pump or if it could be something else. last time the pump went out it went out differently.

Thanks for your feedback and advice.
-Matt

Last edited:
that happened to me too on a mustang of mine..
situation bought mustang 5.0 ( car no start needed fuel pump..)
trailered home, replace pump, car started ran 3 days shut the car off in driveway, tried to start 20 minutes later. no start. fuel just spit out the schrader enought too see fuel but no real pressure..
realized ya know i never changed the fuel filter..
changed the fuel filter( IT WAS CLOGGED BIG TIME)
i couldnt even blow through it.
check pump while the fuel filter was out no real fuel.
pulled pump apart the gears were stripped in the pump..
Pump ran but didnt really build up pressure..
so new filter and another pump...

So did you replace the fuel filter?
sounds like the problem the stripped out pump will run but give you no pressure but a little fuel..
Good luck

Ok I just did some tests...
I unplugged the back side of the fuel filter, turned to "on" and is poured out fuel. put that end back on, and took off the other side of the filter and turned to "on" fuel poured out just fine again.
Where should I look next?
-Matt

Back