• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well....i got milky oil!!!

StylerG

NAXJA Forum User
My 2000 with the infamous head finally went south this past weekend. Lost all coolant fluid, checked and sure enough it was like a good dose of light chocolate milk!
Gotta do a compression test and see how extensive the damage really is, hopefully its just a head gasket...but who knows!
220,000 on the clock, i thought i had it beat ha!!! Good thing i picked up a DD about a month ago
Any tips, tricks, or advice with getting out of this one? The thing runs great, never a problem at all so im pretty sure im still in good shape as far as not needing a complete rebuild!

Sounds like time for a rebuild. May be able to get away with just a top end but Y do that when you know the rest needs it. Just pony up and stock'er!!

StylerG said:
My 2000 with the infamous head finally went south this past weekend. Lost all coolant fluid, checked and sure enough it was like a good dose of light chocolate milk!
Gotta do a compression test and see how extensive the damage really is, hopefully its just a head gasket...but who knows!
220,000 on the clock, i thought i had it beat ha!!! Good thing i picked up a DD about a month ago
Any tips, tricks, or advice with getting out of this one? The thing runs great, never a problem at all so im pretty sure im still in good shape as far as not needing a complete rebuild!

I wouldn't bother with a compression test, you already know the head gasket is blown. The compression test will just tell you which cylinder is bad, which doesn't make any difference since you need to pull the head anyway. As far as if the rings are good, with a bad head/head gasket the readings likely won't be reliable enough to mean anything. Many 200,000 mile 4.0L's have been pulled down and didn't even have a ring ridge at the top of the cylinder. Pull and check the head, throw a head gasket on it, and drive it another 100k. :)

ha, i would think a stroker would be a good option! Afterall, i do have a 98 to drive as much as i want, and it would be a cool learning opportunity....i am gonna have the engine torn apart anyways! Whats a little more time and money? Too bad i wont be going that option, i would rather just get it done, and back to running condition!
Thanks for the advice, i wont be wasting my time with a compression check. I really am hoping for just a head gasket! Considering i only drove it to work and back about twice since the last time i checked my coolant level i think im heading in the direction of just replacing the gasket, throwing it back together and waiting for the next trail run!!!
Besides, i dont want my locker budget to be too effected by this!
Any other advice goat?

Back