• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

xj actin funny

sjbond67

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy bought a cherokee. 91 i think with the HO 4.0 and with the tc with 4pt n 4ft 4l. we were messing around climbing hills and it started to act like it had no power. it had no get up and usually when you shut it off and turned it back on it was fine for a while. also if you put it in neutral it revs up fine so it makes me think its the transmission, kinda feels like if you take off in 3rd gear or something. also sometimes it seems like it gets stuck in a gear and wont shift out of it. i was thinking more along the lines of a shift timing solenoid but it does not through and engine code. anyone know?

Very similar situation happened to me right after I bought my XJ and subsequently flooded it.

I dropped the tranny pan, did a full fluid flush, and replaced the filter with a new one. Was good to go after that.

THalladay said:
Very similar situation happened to me right after I bought my XJ and subsequently flooded it.

I dropped the tranny pan, did a full fluid flush, and replaced the filter with a new one. Was good to go after that.

X2!!

That would be my guess as well. I had an 89 Limited that did the same thing.

-J:peace:

Back