• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

setting timing on 86 2.5

scotty

NAXJA Forum User
first alittle background on my daily driver 86 cherokee:i blew up the original engine a few months ago. i installed a 2.5 from a parts rig that we picked up cheap and got it running.

at first i had a bad hesitation most of the time. i had swapped in the engine from the donor as it was,so thinking i had a bad sensor i swapped out the CPS,air temp and coolant sensors on the intake with the ones from my old engine,wich ran fine. the MAP sensor was still on the firewall from the old engine. i did hook up the one from the engine donor,wich(not surprisingly) did not affect anything.

at this point i figured that id do a tuneup before swapping the O2 or TPS sensors. when i pulled the cap i found the wrong rotor(skinny contact,prolly for a carbed engine),and when i put the correct one in,along with new plugs,it more or less fixed the prollem.

however...

since i put the new engine in,it has a period of time where it does not want to idle,and it will still miss/hesitate. if im at a stoplight with the tranny in neutral during this period it will stall if i dont give it gas.if it stalls,it will usually fire right back up,and have a momentary high idle.

the rest of the time,it runs just fine.maybe a slightly rough idle,but no hesitation,missing,or other drivability priollems.

could be TPS,could be O2,could be vaccum leaks,could be some other quirk,but im afraid that maybe the PO has messed with the distributor trying to get it to run right with the wrong rotor,and i want to make sure the timing is right before moving on.

lining up the marks on the compression stroke is easy enuff,but where do i put the terminal on the cap in relation to the wide contact area on the rotor? right in the middle?

i checked the FAQ and did some searching,and havent really found anything. i just want to be 100% sure that the computer isnt trying to adjust the timing beyond the contact area of the rotor before i continue troubleshooting.

TIA for any info anyone may have :)

Last edited:
I have an 86 2.5L and from all that I have read from FSM the timing is not manually adjustable (I think this is for all RENIX rigs?). Check the idle air controll it looks like this
50321.jpg
and is located right next to the throttle lever. It has a deal that moves in and out to see if it works pull the throttle with your hand pretty far almost to wide oped and see if the plunger moves out at all if not it is bad. Also change the 02 sensor for sure if the one you have is old. If it still moves so it works it may need to be adjusted. To adjust unplug it when its fully extended which should be when the jeep is off, and turn the screw until it idles at 2700 rpm turn the jeep off then plug it back in. It should then go back to normal idle if its working correctly. Maybe someone who knows a lot about renix can pitch in on how to adjust timing.

I am assuming of course that this is a 2.5L TBI (throttle body injection).

Back