• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Longer Leafs in the rear?

jwtrapper

NAXJA Forum User
Who has installed longer leafs in the rear? What leafs did you use? What did you make your new mounts out of? Will the bumper stand up to mounting springs to it? I am not sure if I want to go with a 4 link in the rear or to longer, flexier leafs in the rear. I have searched and searched and came up with a few things, but there has to be more out there. Are there going to be any disadvantages to the longer leafs? I have the TnT ubolt eliminators on my 8.8 now so I dont need a huge lift spring but want about 4.5" out of a spring to put me close to 6.5" to 7".

The stock rear bumper will not stant up to mounting springs to it, its just sheet metal.
I built my own rear leafs and they seem pretty flexy, I used Durango leaf packs. cut the eyes off the ends and mounted them to my XJ main spring with new center pins, I also used Ram truck shackles. This put the rear at 6-6.5 inches over stock height.

I guess I should have made myself a little more clear on the rear bumper idea. I was not wanting to mount the shackle to the stock rear bumper. I am talking about a built bumper mounted securely to the unibody with shackle mounts on it.

Im using 63 inch chevy leafs on my build. Havent gotten to the rear yet, but will post some pics of it when i get there.

i'm using 57" MJ leaves.

the center pin hole is redrilled 3/4" further back from the stock dimension than xj leaves (to push the axle back into the Center of the wheel-well)

for lift i added a FSJ waggy 3" long AAL (rusty's) and i'm using MJ shackles

performance is a better balanced suspension (the back flexes more like the front)

the bumper is mounted into the rear of the UNI-frame (i cut out the rear panel, opening the ends of the ~frame and slid in 2x5x1/4" rectangle tubing then, drilled and bolted thru the cargo floor to the bottom of the ~frame (plated top/bottom)

then i built the bumper from 2x5x1/4" rec. also attatched to the "sleeved uni-frame rails" with the shackle mounts off the bottom of the bumper

*a bit of the departure angle is hurt from this setup but the added balance in the suspension is worth it to me!

541535163hriMDD_ph.jpg

JLane99XJ said:
i'm using 57" MJ leaves.

the center pin hole is redrilled 3/4" further back from the stock dimension than xj leaves (to push the axle back into the Center of the wheel-well)

for lift i added a FSJ waggy 3" long AAL (rusty's) and i'm using MJ shackles

performance is a better balanced suspension (the back flexes more like the front)

the bumper is mounted into the rear of the UNI-frame (i cut out the rear panel, opening the ends of the ~frame and slid in 2x5x1/4" rectangle tubing then, drilled and bolted thru the cargo floor to the bottom of the ~frame (plated top/bottom)

then i built the bumper from 2x5x1/4" rec. also attatched to the "sleeved uni-frame rails" with the shackle mounts off the bottom of the bumper

*a bit of the departure angle is hurt from this setup but the added balance in the suspension is worth it to me!

Looks like what I am wanting to do. How much lift did you get out of that setup?

jwtrapper said:
Looks like what I am wanting to do. How much lift did you get out of that setup?

its about the same as the front.. 4.5" coils with 1.75 spacers
OH-- but with custom machined 1", 4degree, blocks-- that are 6" long (custom anti-wrap design- patten pending;_) )

to me it sits low for 35" tires but it works well and feels less likely to have that "Pole-vaulting" effect whenever the rear up-hill tire pulls on to a rock on a 20% cross-sloped trail

514361_45_full.jpg

I had Deaver build me a set of 53" rear springs with the center pin about 3" rear of stock (26" front/27" rear).
Length-wise they'll fit stock mounts with longer shackles. I didn't make them much longer than stock as longer front half will induce wrap & longer rear half will increase overhang.
I run 14" shocks & easily max them out.
I also moded the rear frame for more clearance.
standard.jpg

P

Deaver leaves are the bOmb!
\ looks like a sweet setup!

mj leaves @ pull-a-part were $22/ea (shackles included-- just don't mention to the checkout clerk its a seperate part;) )
-i think the FSJ aals were $45 from rusty's

i built the bumper to kill 2 birds with one stone,
1) to mount the spare tire carrier to
2) to mount the leaf spring shackles to/
i wanted somethin cheap that works good - thats what i got..

Back