• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

keyless entry question

87baseomatic

NAXJA Forum User
I need to pick up a remote for my 1992 but I noticed on pilands website it lists 92 as a split year. I emailed them but never heard back on how to tell which one I need. Searching through the forums didn't help much either.

I logged onto star parts and plugged my vin in and still no info short of a 02/18/92 build date. Its listed one remote for 91-92 and another one from 93 and up.

Anyone ablle to help? judging by the build date I would say early 92 but I know alot of manufactured start model year production up to 6 months before the year actually begins.

92 should be an infrared remote. For the price I may be better off jsut buying an aftermarket keyless entry system and splice into my existing factory one.

I agree...you have to be more or less pressed up against the window to get them to work. from what ive heard.......I have the little reciever bubble in my
console... but im not gonna mess with it....Itell people it used to be a cop Cherokee. and thats a camera. They fall for it allmost every time

Its similar to sticking with a BetaMax VCR.......

not supported....and long surpassed technology

On a split year, there is no way to tell which system you have by looking at numbers. If you want to try the factory route, drive it to a jeep dealer and ask them for the remote type and a price quote. It might be a reasonable price, and your in luck. If not, you now know what your looking for.

I pay dealer cost on mopar stuff (vw dealer I work for owns a chrysler dealership also) so price on an oem one is reasonable. I thing I am just gonna go the route of aftermarket keyless entry. For $70 I can get something that will work from more than ten feet away. The car is wired for it already so it would only take a short while to hook it up. I just prefer to keep stuff like that original.

Yeah. After some searching it looks like the ir remotes dont work very well. Sounds like the pre2000 vw remotes. They worked from about 10 feet away if they even worked at all. Looks like aftermarket is a better bang for the buck.

A question about this...Do different years affect the price of one? For a '98 how much would a dealer replacement run for?

Back