• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Distibutor/timing

lazydragon

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 cherokee laredo with a straight 6. I replaced the distributor, but I did something wrong. Could someone please tell me what the firing order is from front to back. also the positions on the dist. cap Also what do I need to do to set the timing. Thanks

The firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4

Number 1 is the first post clockwise past the forward mounting screw of the distributor.

Timing on 4.0 XJ's is not adjustable, handled by the engine computer.

Because there is no provision for distributor rotation to adjust timing, if the engine doesn't start and run properly, you may have to experiment with reinserting the distributor to get it indexed properly. The rotor should point to terminal one of the distributor when the engine is at TDC, and since the drive gear is helical, you will have to start it with an offset to compensate for the rotation as you push it down.

Start by rotating the oil pump slot to a little bit before the 11 o'clock position, as seen from the passenger side (12 o'clock is pointing toward the engine). Later distributors have an index pin that can be inserted to force correct installation, but I don't think it's present on yours. But the goal is to get the rotor pointing to the 5 o'clock position when it's in.

the terminal with the 1 is second from the mounting screw. the chilton manual i have has the mounting screw pointed away from the cylinder head. mine points toward the cylinder head

Was struggling too with this not too long ago. Posted picture in this thread with numbering

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=905429

The order in the pic is ok (wasn't sure at the time but I screwed up elsewhere, the order is good). Expect that to be the same on your rig.

Good luck,

Tim

Thanks, so it turns out I did have the wires right. Sunday I followed a guide to set the dist. I removed the cylinder head lined up the timing notch on the 0 mark. the valves on 1 were open. installed the dist. When it was in place. the rotor was at the 4 o'clock position. according to the article this was right. now what?

lazydragon said:
Thanks, so it turns out I did have the wires right. Sunday I followed a guide to set the dist. I removed the cylinder head lined up the timing notch on the 0 mark. the valves on 1 were open. installed the dist. When it was in place. the rotor was at the 4 o'clock position. according to the article this was right. now what?

Valves on one were open? That's the (end of) exhaust stroke. You need the valves on one to be closed (end of compression stroke).

After re-starting a couple of times without the truck firing up you have probably flooded the engine also. You may also want to check the sparkplugs whether or not they are foul/wet or not.

Back