• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

still dont know what to do about the upper control arm

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 96 xj and the passenger upper control arm bolt on the body side has no room to bang it out and the bolt that is in the frame has no bite and cant even turn all the way around b/c of a flab thing. im trying to lift my DD so its kinda urgent and the bolt doesnt seem seized even though the lower control arm was it still has some locktite on it pleez help

when my uppers on the unibody side did not come out , I used a sawzall and a 4" grinder to cut it off ( be real careful not to cut into the body or control arm mount) and just replaced the bolt with one from the hardware store

trailbound xj said:
when my uppers on the unibody side did not come out , I used a sawzall and a 4" grinder to cut it off ( be real careful not to cut into the body or control arm mount) and just replaced the bolt with one from the hardware store
I'm thinking this should be a "graded" bolt.....Grade 5?

ChuckstrPT said:
I'm thinking this should be a "graded" bolt.....Grade 5?

I would have thought that would of been common sense:doh:

xjbubba said:
GRADE 8 AT LEAST!!

I thought grade 8 would be overkill but I was wrong . went out and looked and me RE arms came with metric 10.9 grade hardware

Grade 8 will be fine. There's only a small difference between a metric grade 10.9 and a U.S. grade 8 bolt.

Had a hard time with my lower dog bones on my DD, the bolt was seized up inside the sleeve. Just cut the bolt with a recipricating saw and replace it with a grade 8. But do be careful not to cut into the body or the mounting bracket.

Back