• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake upgrade

redwagon

NAXJA Forum User
Understand on my 89 I can upgrade to a 96 booster , M/C Having probelms finding a junk yard with those years, just thinking I'll buy the parts at Autozone? Any thing else I'll need New porportion valve? etc...

Thanks

i just grabbed the booster, MC and prop valve as one assembly from the junkyard...i think ur stock prop valve will still work but u'll have to reflare some lines witht he right size fittings on them

Brad

Depending on your year of XJ, the booster from a 96 may require two things:

1. a 1/4 inch spacer that goes between the booster and the firewall, to properly locate the pushrod on the booster against the pedal bracket. You may also have to swap pushrods between your old booster and the one on the '96.
2. a new matching master cylinder for a '96, as the old master may not fit against the new booster, and if it does, it may interfere with the hood when it's closed.

It will be MUCH easier if you can find a 95 or 96 in a boneyard, as trying to adapt parts on a daily driver while keeping it drivable will be tough.

I scrounged all the parts for my 92 before starting the job, and wound up using a new master, a new booster, the 1/4 inch space, but reused my old prop. valve. Bending, cutting and flaring the new hard lines took the most time.

The only lines that would need flared on a non ABS cherokee are the MC to Proportioning valve. And low and behold, the dealer has them and they will set you back all of 10.00 for the set. I just did the swap on an ABS 90 cherokee and I had to flare one line because of the ABS and I had to drill out the pushrod to use the stock brake switch. ANd then relocation of the Washer bottle.
Dustin

LT1XJ said:
The only lines that would need flared on a non ABS cherokee are the MC to Proportioning valve. Dustin

I cannot speak for doing this job on an 89 but on my 92, I had to fabricate custom hard lines. I am talking about the ones that run from the new 96 master cyl. (which I installed along with the booster), to my existing 92 proportioning valve.

The 96 MC uses metric ISO-type bubble flare fittings, whereas my 92 proportioning valve uses conventional SAE-type double flare fittings. I needed to make custom hard lines to tie those two together.

on an 89, you're going to have quite a hassle with the brakelight switch...

I know this from experience. if you swap the pedal rods, you can use your old brakelight switch without any modifications. I'd STRONGLY reccomend this.

Back