• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Black Exhaust...should I worry? **pics**

andrew2516

NAXJA Forum User
Well I have an apn header, newer 02 sensor, newer cat, and a flowmaster 40 cat back. Well today I noticed that my exhaust was black from where the first bend in the cat is all the way back to the cat.

Should I worry about passing emissions or is there something that would cause this?

I was thinking it might be normal but I just wanted to see if anyone has some input.
HPIM0968.jpg

HPIM0969.jpg

HPIM0970.jpg

As long as there aren't huge leaks you should be fine.

But nearly all exhaust pipes on Jeeps look terrible because of the off roading we do.

My exhaust system has caked on mud giving it a light tan color.

j99xj said:
As long as there aren't huge leaks you should be fine.

But nearly all exhaust pipes on Jeeps look terrible because of the off roading we do.

My exhaust system has caked on mud giving it a light tan color.

I agree...that exhaust on my jeep was put on last march...so its only a year old and looks like it could be atleast 10 years old...the offroad is rough on our vehicles.

rocklandxjer said:
BTW... i believe you have some holes under your carpet... better check that

This should be your first concern... The color of your exhaust could soon become the color of thr rest of your XJ if you don't fix the floor...

Rev Den said:
Looks like Comcast takes care of thier trucks about the same as thier employees.

Does that help?

Rev

That truck is an 01 and it looked like that the second year! You would think they would use stainless hardware on those $60,000 trucks.

An 01 bucket....that means its got about 5 more years before they replace it. When the latches fail I am sure they will give you some #6 to tie the doors shut. Lineman? or Sweep?

Rev

Not anymore.

I am a Comcastaway.

About 3 years ago, part of the 1500 in Chicago. 20+ years in, started in Installs, last position was a Headend Super in the Telco/HSD/Video Center in Elmhurst, IL. Actually a pretty good outfit, great package when they moved me out, no complaints.

Had a bucket van....9 years old when I had it....E350 with a weak 351, had to take running starts at curbs, forget working a back easment pole line, gaffs all the way. Really sucked hauling a 1776 up a pole on hooks.

Someday we will have to meet and share war stories.....if you are like most cable dogs, you have got plenty.

Rev

The jeep hasn't begun it's transformation yet but it soon will. I've been building up an inventory of parts over the winter and I'm just waiting for some free time to put it all together.

36" TSL's, RK LA's waiting to be installed with the HP D30(maybe 44 later) and rear 8.25 with discs. I've also got the RK steering and RK track bar with the bracket.

HPIM0928.jpg

HPIM0908.jpg

Right now the hold-up is a steering bracket from RK that seems to be off...I'm waiting on one of their techs to respond to an e-mail I sent them.

I'm sure I could make this work but an egg shaped hole sounds like a weak spot to me...
HPIM0963.jpg

Rev Den said:
Not anymore.

I am a Comcastaway.

About 3 years ago, part of the 1500 in Chicago. 20+ years in, started in Installs, last position was a Headend Super in the Telco/HSD/Video Center in Elmhurst, IL. Actually a pretty good outfit, great package when they moved me out, no complaints.

Had a bucket van....9 years old when I had it....E350 with a weak 351, had to take running starts at curbs, forget working a back easment pole line, gaffs all the way. Really sucked hauling a 1776 up a pole on hooks.

Someday we will have to meet and share war stories.....if you are like most cable dogs, you have got plenty.

Rev

Send me a message if you come out to paragon(if it stays open). My dad works for comcast right now, thats his truck...hes been there for about 15 years now and likes it but he thinks they are trying to do away with the lineman up here for contractors. He had the E350 van with the 351 before also...he said it was terrible in the snow because of the rear wheel drive. He also had a Ford v10 for a while which he loved.

so have you ripped up your carpets yet? or are you to scared... I'd be

but seriously, you really should take a look under there, even if you prove my eyes wrong.. a small hole can turn into a VERY large one pretty quick if you arent careful, and i dont think carpeting goes very well with scorching exhaust heat...

I've had the carpet up and I know my passenger side is pretty bad. There is sheet metal laying in there right now which is keeping the water out and the carpet dry. Thats part of the summer project though...installing new floor pans.

Back