• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pleez help control arm hell

kenny schmitt

NAXJA Forum User
So im ready to order my 6.5" from rustys but i wanted to make sure all my old parts would come off easy and they are not. I know it could be worse but this is what im dealing with. I have a 1996 2dr 5spd xj with a 8.25 and a 231 tc so the rear came apart good exept some broken bolts on the top strut mount (tapped) now the front contol arms are giving me lip. so far on the passenger side i was able to romove the upper and lower cotrol arm bolt that mounts to the front end. as for the lower control arm where it is mounted to the frame the bolt is seazed to the inside of the control armi got it to move 2mm with alot of banging but cant get it out and it doesnt hep that i dont have a impact gun. should i just cut this bolt( i can just get parts off of an 89 xj ) it should be the same the next problem is with the upper control arm where it mounts ont the frame. I got the inside bolt off and the part inside the chassis spins but the stopper thing stops it from doing a full 360 soi assume i should bang it out but i have the motor right there what should i do i guess this project isnt going that smooth as i wanted.
last question can i use an impact gun if i convert my ac compressor to an on board compressor Thanx guys

id really like to help but i cant understand or see what you wrote well.

use paragraph-like spaces.

its makes everything eaiser.

well lets start with this. I cant get the bolt out of my lower contol ar on the body side. Should i just cut the bolt out or is there any tricks or things i dont know i have an 89 to take new bolts out of.

pick up some penetrating lube, I personally like PB Blaster and spray it on all bolts and connections everyday for a week prior to ur install/disassembly. A good breaker bar works wonders as well.

all you can really do to try to get bolts out are:

PB blaster [liquid wrench, those petrolium de-greasers and lubes, any brand really]

heat [ie a torch to heat the bolt and bushing free of rust]

BFH [big fat hammer, to try to break the bolt free of rust]

your bolt is probably frozen in the bushing, try these things and get a nice big breaker bar... if all else fails whip out the sawzall or grinder...

i guess thats where i am il get back with the results the oly reason i never used heat is that rubber in the bushing

I used a big ass cheater bar, getting the lca off was easy compared to getting the holes to line back up.

Back