• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get GL-3 Gear Oil????

Ted Young

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know where I can buy conventional 75w-90 gear oil for my AX-15 aside from the dealership? None of the chains carry it that I know of.

Thanks.

Redline makes the gear oil for the AX trannies, about $11 a quart and it's a synthetic which means it will shift MUCH smoother especially in cold weather. Then replace your NP231 transfer case fluid with Mobil-1 ATF and that will be another improvement. It will run that transfer case much more smoothly and much much much more cool than the standard ATF thats in there now.
As far as getting it, just about any parts store can order it for you.

You can get Redline MT90 for about $8 a quart, online, the trans requires 3.6 quarts, so you'll need to buy 4 quarts. No one sells it on the shelf in my area, I order online from a place 50 miles away, I get it the next day or two later.

MT90 is actually GL-4, but the literature about the oil will tell you that the synthetic blend makes it more stable at high temps and it won't become corrosive to synchros until some crazy temp twice what most GL-4 oils do. Many people have used it and NOT reported a problem.

MT-90 or other "MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUIDS" have friction modifiers that help the Synchros engage better. You want something other than regular gear oil, the friction modifiers make the shifting so much smoother and easier.

ATF has friction modifiers in them, and more and more manual trans use that as their fluid. I wouldn't recommend using anything other than what the manufacturer recommends, unless your willing to accept the risk. BUT, the new Chrysler ATF+4 is now on the walmart shelfs for about $3 a quart under the SuperTech Generic Brand Name. Chrysler is currently using ATF+4 as its factory fill for manual transmissions and power steering fluid. Its synthetic, and I guess its some sort of super fluid that Chrysler developed to finally fix the problems they have been having with the A-604 transmission that has caused them so many problems. Anyone Game? Willing to try ATF+4 for their manual trans? It seems a little thin, although it is synthetic, if you really stress your trans.

Rick Anderson said:
I wouldn't recommend using anything other than what the manufacturer recommends, unless your willing to accept the risk.

Of course my 1996 Factory Owners Manual says "Use GL-5" and I used it for 5000+ miles after I got my Jeep and changed all the fluids. Just doing what it said because I wasn't yet a NAXJA member . . .

Now my AX-5 is full of MT-90 "discovered" right here and at a good price too.

Thanks guys,
Mike

I used Pennzoil Sychromesh in mine. Everyone said "stay away from pennzoil" but I did it anyway. Well first of all my tranny shifted like **** and come to find out the previous owner had normal gear oil in it. Well its been about two months and my trans shifts like butter with the pennzoil in it. I was amazed. So go to Autozone and get sychromesh. O'Reilly has it too. Oh and it says right on the bottle "Safe for yellow metals" so there you go.

Go synthetic. After I rebuilt my AX-15, I filled it with GL3 from NAPA with the intent of running it for a few weeks during breakin and then drain and refill with RedLine. It shifted so bad with the GL3 that I though I buggered the rebuild. I drained and refilled with the Redline MT after two days and the difference was unbelievable. The GL3 would hardly shift into first gear. The Redline shifted like butter. I actually used 1/2 MT and 1/2 MT90 since it gets well below zero here in the winter.

Seriously, go with the Redline or another decent synthetic. You won't regret it.

Ted Young said:
THANKS for all the replies! I guess I will shell out the dough for the synthetic stuff.

Look at the bright side, the synthetic is $5 cheaper than the factory dealer OEM stuff... which is a good thing...

The MT90 has a similar viscosity to 75W90 gear oil, while the MTL is closer to ATF. At operating temps, the MTL is thinner, but at cold temps it's much more pourable. It gets down to well below zero here in the winter, so I wanted something that stayed pourable at low temps and opted to mix 1/2 MTL and 1/2MT90 in my AX15 which worked pretty well.

http://www.redlineoil.com/pdf/6.pdf

Back