• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer Towing with a 5 speed

davescott

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a '97 XJ with a 3.5" RE lift. I've got a D44 rear
with 4.56s and an ARB and 33 x 12.50 BFG A/Ts and it's a 5 speed.

I'm trying to figure out if I'm ok hauling a 3,000lb tent trailer with this set up. I've got a brake controller to handle the trailer brakes.

The Jeep was built as an Up Country with a bigger radiator with two fans, but it didn't come with a trailer towing package.

I've got a Tomken rear bumper with a 2" receiver. Hitch weight is probably about 200lb.

I know about the factory tow capacity with the stick which is low, but in the real world is this going to be ok?

Am I better off trying to pick up a wiring harness from an XJ with a tow package or just getting a new setup. I need a 7 pin set up so I'm ok with lights, brakes and power for the fridge in the trailer.

I'd appreciate any input.

If youve already got the brake controller, just buy a Hoppy (or something similar) plug and play harness for the lights and wire it all into a seven plug.
I wouldnt worry about the 5 spd, I know they arent rated to tow very much but if you drive smart, it will be fine. The Tomkin bumper is another story. Im not sure how they mount up. Does it mount to the factory bumper locations or does it mount more like a class III reciever hitch, along the bottom of the frame?

I know many 1/2 ton or less trucks with a manual are rated less because they use a "soft" clutch, and under heavy loading it can slip causing excessive wear.
My F-150 with an auto is rated at like 6800#s, but the 5 spd models are only rated at like 2200#s, mainly because of the clutch (never really looked at the XJ ratings, since in my case the XJ is what would be towed).

I wouldn't let this bother you in your case, but if you do burn up the clutch, just replace it with a HD unit like centerforce. Your pedal will probably be a good bit stiffer (it was in my old Mustang), but youll get used to it. Other than that, just take it easy and avoid shock loading the drivetrain, you should be fine.

I towed a 2,200 lb. pop-up 3 times from Chicago to Moab, twice with 31x10.50s and 4.10s, once with 33x12.50s and 4.10s (5spd,) and quite a bit around the Midwest. No issues. I wouldn't expect you'll have problems as long as you've got good brakes and a controller.

Back