• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

MSD 8207 wiring info??

Bouncy

NAXJA Forum User
Wanting to hook up a 8207 coil.

My 1990 XJ has 4 wires to the stock coil.

Per MSDs idiot techs which told me about hooking up a different model coil with a custom special connector which isn't available....I was told to hook both the 5v and 12v lines to positive and the 2 grounds to the ground.

Hit the key and the coil heated up very hot.

Doesn't make sense to hook a 5v AND 12v line to the same screw.

Tried looking up the 1990 wiring diagram but I only have the 1988 FSM which looks the same.

Anyone have wiring color codes to hooking up a 2 screw coil to a 4 wire system??

If you're taking the four wires from the Delphi Weatherpack connectors and connecting them to the coil - don't. Those are the power and signal leads for the ignition controller - which is the aluminum bit under the coil. Your coil got hot because it was supplied with constant voltage - same thing that makes a pencil soldering iron work.

What you're going to need to do is remove the OEM coil, come up with a way to attach to the two terminals inside the control unit, then run those to positive and negative on the coil. That will give you a "switched" 12VDC to feed and fire the coil.

They're probably not fully used to RENIX anywhere but here. Normally, all you'd do is take the leads that connect to the OEM coil and transfer them to the MSD, but that is a bit more difficult with RENIX. There's also a funky adapter to connect a 6-series box to RENIX - I can look up the number, but I think you still leave the original coil in circuit (it's spaced upwards, and the MSD Box gets wired in between the ICM and the coil. I'd have to look that up to be sure as well - I've got a copy of the MSD Tech Notes book around here somewhere...)

Remember, RENIX was only used on Jeep for about four years, then replaced with ChryCo OBD-I electronics. The tech probably doesn't know anything about RENIX - I'd not consider him an "idiot," merely "ignorant." The difference is that you can fix ignorant - you can't fix stupid...

I have an 88 renix sytem that i use a crane ignition system on-all i did was remove my coil and do ya see those prongs where the coil goes to? it has a mark on them where positive is and where negative is .I simply used 90* female blade connectos to slide over the stock double prongs all ya have to do is pinch the blades a little closer to the flat part of the connector so it slides on tight ... thats it.I forget now maybe i am wrong about the "+" aand the "-" either on the coil itself or the ignition control module itself.the wires that go to the module the wetherpack one just leave it on the module it supplies the 12 volts to the coil and the ground for the coil through the module directly to those prongs where the coil just slides onto the module.by the way i used an lx92 crane coill with my crane hi-6 ignition and it just so happens that the crane coil will actually bolt right on to the stock renix module-only thing is that the studs on that coil arent long enough to contact the stock prongs-- but ehh i have the crane systenm and it only gets the power from the crane unit

ohh yeah IF it doesnt start now you can call MSD and tell them that when there tech told ya to hook up the 5 volt refernce AND 12 volts together--you've just fried the pcm part of the ignition control circuit-the pcm actually sends an 5 volt square wave pattern of and on time to control timming via the moduleit starts as 5 volts and goes from 5 v to ground by varying the "on" "off" time to the module.kinda like old points ignition used to do-- same thing really but it was to ground only to control the coil firing time- plus the dwell was adjustable back then!!!!!or spark duration.

Back