• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake Booster Stalling

dabeersboys

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if a brake booster could cause stalling. My girlfriend 87 xj pioneer will stall occasionally when brake is applied. When your foot is on the brake there is a constant "ssssss" coming form it. Could is be leaking so much vaccume that is could be stalling the car sometimes?
-Matt

Concur, a bad vacuum leak can cause the motor to stall. The Brake Booster uses a lot of Vacuum, and it has valves and a diaphragm that changes as you press the brake pedal.

So, its very possible that a bad brake booster could be causing the motor to stall as you press the pedal, but run fine while the brake pedal is NOT depressed.

Sure. Imagine a small tear in a diaphragm or other rubber component. Sometimes when you push the pedal it moves in such a way that the tear is held closed or sealed against an adjacent area,other times when you push the pedal the defect opens up. I would tend to suspect that this will only get worse.

Back