• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skyjacker 6" RR Lift Kit

I used to have a 97 with the skyjacker 8"RR, and it was okay. All I have to compare it to was my RE 4.5' on my 96. The RR was a decent kit, but for offroading, a long arm kit would be better. I think the RR is only a short arm kit.

Either way, from my experience, I had problems with the joints going bad and making alot of noise for everyday driving. Also, the trackbar give me fits. If I remember correctly,it was adjustable, but even so, it was not enough. After the installation I had alot of work done to correct the 2" off centering of the front axle from that tracbar.

I may have had a unique bad experience, but that was my experience. Hope that helps! AAlso, I am currently looking for a lift of about 6" for my new XJ. I have been looking at Full Traction, Rubicon Express, Rockkrawler, and BDS. Others on this site have told me to also look at TNT Customs, and Clayton. Enjoy!!

I am running the 8"as well. Skyjacker use to have 2 kits one auto, one manual tranny. They then decided on a one kit fits all approach and mine was the first sold. Front diff truss/upper control arm bracket would not fit. Went through three of them before deciding to use upper arm from the 6" kit just to get it rolling again. Used johnny joints on the axle to get some flex with the 6" arms. That part works way better than skyjacker intended. I stuff 33's trimmed out alot more on the fenders than they recommend to clear 35's. I like the mid arm arrangment and the very beefy bracket for the control arms. I come down on these hard and it is a ramp to slide off of where I would have bent long arms. Tranny mount sucks. Two mouting holes for the different tranny's and both of them will leave you with the wrong pinion angle and vibration. Skid plates for t-case will have to be custom built with this system as well. I am currently swapping heims to rubber bushings at the body side. Every bump transfers through the cab and you hear more of the road than feel it. Off road it works great, but for the money there are better systems. Other than the springs almost every other part of this kit has been modified. pm if you want details.

Last edited:
cdhowell said:
Off road it works great, but for the money there are better systems.

X2!! I've had the 6" RR on my '99 for 6yrs. For what you pay there are much better kits out there. The rattle bucket heim joints will test your sanity to the fullest. In my experience and from the other XJ's I've ridden in I would say one of the best overall kits for a DD that sees moderate offroad use is the Rubicon Express long arm...

I have the 6 rr, I just replaced my heim joints with the spidertrax joints. They cost half of what sj joints cost, they are also 10 times better. Trackbar is always a problem though.

Back