• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where can I get these bolts?

smokeeaterXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, Im doin a header swap, and I saw a write up earlier with a guy who switched out his header bolts for new ones. Where can I get these cause it looks like he used a grade 8 bolt from home depot or something, is it the same thing? Or do I have to go to the auto parts store?

Also do I need a fuel line disconnect wrench to do this? thanks!

Dont forget the bellville washers.

www.geocities.com/JeepI6Power

Jon has the sizes on his page. I am lucky enough to have A specialty fastener store near me. Instead of the blank stares you get at home depot from some one who just needed a job and knows nothing about hardware, i tell the guys at my store the size and they get me what i need. Dont believe me? Ask any one at home depot for a brass or bronze 3/8"-16x1¼" screw.
You can reuse the washers. And make sure to get locktight high temp.
good luck

Refer to my charts, and be sure to consider the operating environment...

High heat, and "annealing cycles" of heat and gradual cooling - both work against the original heat treatment of the metal. Also, the heat and dry will work to gall the screws to the threaded holes, making them difficult to remove.

With that in mind, use brass or bronze if you can get them. The installed tension is not enough to cause a problem with the change of material, and copper-based alloys won't seize on iron or steel. Also, copper-based alloys respond to heat differently than iron-based alloys - they'll get incrementally harder. Fastenal carries silicon bronze screws - and they work well.

If you can't get brass or bronze screws, then get SAE Grade 5. The SAE Grade 8 will lose strength much faster than the 5's (they're more sensitive to annealing. We experimented with this in "Materials and Processes" last year...) and you can get SAE5 screws pretty much anywhere.

However, brass or bronze is preferred for exhaust hardware - manifold screws, flange stud nuts, muffler clamp nuts - if you can replace it with brass or bronze, do so. You'll thank me next time you take it apart...

Back