• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock Crossmember Strength

VinceYJ

NAXJA Forum User
How stong is the stock crossmember on my 99XJ? I wanted to bend up a tub to make a skidplate for my tcase and just weld it to my stock crossmember....would that hold up?
Im not looking to set the whole weight of the vehicle on it just something a little stronger than the stock "tin" skidplate.

I tried crawling slowly over a boulder in my '99 in my friends yard one time, and ended up getting hung up on my crossmember. Had to be pulled off with his tractor. I looked under and has scratched up and dented my crossmember. It was also bent up some, so I had to replace it. Its not the strongest thing, but then again stock t-case skids do attach to the crossmember.

The stock crossmember is not very strong. However, I made a temporary t-case skid on the buggy using the stock crossmember that has held OK so far. The plan is to make a new, stronger crossmember/belly pan, but I'm in no hurry to do it now since this seems to be working. It's pretty simple.

I welded a length of 1" tube under the lip of the crossmember, both to strengthen it and to have a better surface to weld the skid onto. Then I bent another piece of 1" into a U shape and welded it onto the 1" tube on the crossmember, and plated across the bottom of the bent tubing. I've never been hung up on the t-case skid yet, but have scraped across it plenty. It's held up for three trips so far, all hardcore rock trails and 7 days of wheeling the hard stuff in Johnson Valley.

Back