• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PAP procedures...

Jump This

Just another minion!
I am heading down to Chula Vista today to find some junk for my F-250.
I havn't been to a yard in many years, I have heard stories about PAP's 1/2 off weekends being a zoo. But half off a steering box for my tow rig could save some nice coin.
But, what should I exspect? How much tools to bring? I would guess that I shouldn't leave anything in the truck in the parking lot...so bringing just what I need should help.
I plan on bringing the CO2 bottle and air tools. But have any of you found yourself with too much damn tools with you? Or should I just grab all that I can carry?

Rick R

I typically take the tools necessary for the item that Im looking for that day. But I also keep another box in the jeep with the bigger tools so that I am not lugging a whole bunch around with me.. Id say cover the basics and maybe leave the heavy stuff in the truck till you find what your looking for.. I hope this helps.. Have fun..

get a dolly and a milk crate if you can. Put all the tools in the crate and wheel it on the dolly. Only remove what you need and put it back in the crate NOT the ground ever. You will loose a tool from just it rolling away. Not so much thieves, but just misplacing. Once you leave though it will never be found unless its in your crate.

Also, take a core!!! they will charge you Full price on the core. Also they will charge you full price on all the small tax and fee's for CA and other agencies. Only part thats 1/2 off is the Part its self. Which can be only 1/2 the total cost. So in therory your getting 1/4 off, seriously.

Bring something to sit/lay on, best is a very small 1$ Homo depot tarp. Zoo, not really. But around here it can get kinda fun to watch the jolio's pull a motor with nothing but a screw driver and a crecent wrench...

Good luck.

Oh and lots of hand cleaner and rags. And I take some brake and parts cleaner, even though they dont like it, if you can get it in, it helps at times.

i use a lil red wagon :D easy to pull and you can throw the heavy stuff in there to help lug it back too. with a little beefing up and some pneumatic tires my lil wagon can haul around full rear ends all day long!

-mike

this:

33139605_8b2434e44d.jpg

I usually rock a backpack with the tools I know i'm going to need. Backup tools are stashed inside my truck in the parking lot. The backpack allows you to be mobile without your tools EVER leaving your sight. I had a little red wagon with my toolbox in it one time. Left it for a split second to take a peek under a truck, walked back and it was gone.

Screw all the air tools for just getting a steering box. Just bring the handtools you need, maybe a picklefork, and always a hacksaw.

The yards where I go (riverside and ontario) are a complete zoo on half off day. Take a buddy. If you spot something you want, have one guy guard the part and the other guy make a tool run to the truck if needed. I had to fight people off when I found a D60 front at the Riverside yard.

Last edited:
rick,

your gettin a pap????

Check and make sure they allow an air bottle in some places don't,and get ready to get real dirty,and check the cars that have been wrecked real bad for human bodie parts and save them for me...........

I thought a pap was only done on women. Rick sometimes you make people wonder.

Make sure you get some good bug spray. If a vehicle has been there long enough theres all kinds of little things living on it that you dont want to bite you.

olympic4x4tech said:
I thought a pap was only done on women. Rick sometimes you make people wonder.

Make sure you get some good bug spray. If a vehicle has been there long enough theres all kinds of little things living on it that you dont want to bite you.
I would be more concerned with what little things Rick brings with him and leaves behind, Remember where he lives!!!!

I bought a $70 electric impact at pep boys. I carry it on the trail and to pap. It's my ratchet, impact, screwdriver, and anything else required to get in and out before someone steals the winch off my rig in the parking lot. :)

Little red wagon is a good call, and I usually try and take a second person with me to babysit the tools while i work. it's worth the $2 it cost to get them in. dont have any misc nuts/bolts/etc with you in your box, they will charge you for them on the way out.

Boy are you guys lots of help!! :rolleyes:

:D

Okay, didn't make it down to Chula Vista.
There is a truck yard in Lakeside that I have passed bye many times. Decided to stop there and check it out. It is an interesting place. You go find your stuff and they send someone out to pull it for you. I was thinking that this place was going to be a bunch more exspensive...and maybe it is, but I was happy with what I got.
Two electric folding front seats out of a '92. The truck had caught on fire and the seats smelled like smoke, $50 each. I can clean them.
Steering box out of a F-350, with shaft, $50.
Cherry rear bumper for same, this might have been up there in price, $100.
All the hardware, free. Tail lights for Cherokee, free.
And they did all the work..
I kinda' liked that!!
Rick

Jump This said:
And they did all the work..
I kinda' liked that!!

sounds like a Junk Yard that even Captain Ron could find acceptable... :D :D

Wow. you guys are gettin this down to a science.

I spent all day (so far) working on the tow rig.
The power steering box went in with little trouble and made a HUGE difference in the handling.
The seats were another story.....They were salvaged from a burnt rig. I spent the early part of this morning scrubbing and cleaning them. They cleaned up well enough. But the mounts and location of the mounts were way different.
After installing the drivers seat I noticed it sat kinda' off center. Upon closer inspection I found a broken sub frame piece. Off it came again, welded it back up and installed again....it sits kinda' high also....
The passenger seat also needed a new set of mounts but it went in without any extra effort.
I have seats in the tow rig......no center console but I do have seats! :yelclap:
Then off to install the bumpers....I needed to heat and bend some of the brackets that are presently welded to the frame (some aftermarket hack job) I pull out the torch...and no oxi....oh well.....I have some ICE COLD Fat Tire and I am currently taking a break...

So, how has your day gone?

Rick

Back