• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Something here is not like the other ones...

ADVNTURR

I worry when rattles stop
I got to tag along on an April Fools Day run of a Class IV Road in NH with the Northeast chapter of the LOST KJ club. There was a total of 8 vehicles on the trip (7 KJs and my XJ) and there was quite a mixture of capabilities and experience levels. Although I still don't like that the XJ got replaced by the KJ and I think they should have a live front axle, I will admit that after this weekend I do have a lot more respect for the KJ and at least this group of their owners.

The groups was a lot of fun and the run was very well organized and they were out there to have fun not to tear things up. Most of the trail was relatively easy but there was a side trail that was significantly more challenging to most of the vehicles. There was also some leftover snow and ice that had a tendency to give way unexpectedly.

Here are a couple pictures of mine:
401189_79_full.jpg

401189_83_full.jpg

This is the last climb on the side trail. The first picture was the guy who organized the run and he has about 3" of lift running the metric equivalent of a 31. The second picture is a bone stock Renegade that managed to make the climb and only touched one rock with the cross member.
401189_86_full.jpg

401189_81_full.jpg

The last part of the side trail is what gave most of the KJs problems since they all still had their swaybars connected. Unfortunately there aren't really any pictures of mine going up or down because no one knew I was coming and I didn't stop on the face (since I wasn't having traction problems).

My favorite quote of the day occurred when I got out of my XJ at the top of the hill coming from one of the more modified KJ owners: "Is yours really just that much better?" Made my day.

More Pictures:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/advnturr/album/576460762396338021#page1

http://picasaweb.google.com/Chris.Valva/LOST_Jeep_Trip_4107

Last edited:
haha nice. kinda like the time when i wheeled with a bunch of $10k nissan xterras. They couldnt beleive how much my $800 jeep was capable of.

fordtech said:
so will you give KJ's credit now? I think they do well for what they are... and the modded ones do much better.

can't you say "they do well for what they are" for anything?-----WOW, that Yugo goes good...for what it is!!!

Let's just say, "the KJ will never be a XJ".

Jess said:
can't you say "they do well for what they are" for anything?-----WOW, that Yugo goes good...for what it is!!!

Let's just say, "the KJ will never be a XJ".
sure it will, if you SAS it up front.

Watching a guy break his KJ's a-arm is funny...

I think anyone that has wheeled a KJ or with a KJ appreciates them more than they thought they would. My first Jeep was a KJ and after wheeling it a few times (first time was with only 1500 miles from new) with no lift and not disconnected sway bar, I deceided to get my XJ which has so much more available for it. The KJ was fun to wheel with only a full set of factory skids and tow points (which were never needed), mine is an '06 with the electronic traction/stability control which is helpful offroad with it not being locked. I thought the wise thing to do was not to wheel something I was making payments on so the XJ took over the wheeling duties and yes it is more capable and easier to modify to my liking, but the KJ can be a lot of fun and quite capable if you don't mind banging the skids a lot. The KJ is now my wifes daily driver and we use it for any trips, the XJ is my daily driver and weekend wheeler. LOST is a great group of KJ owners and if any of them ever make it to Superlift ORV park in Hot Springs Arkansas I'd be glad to guide for them and wheel with them, although the only KJ I've seen at the park myself is mine (lots of XJs from mild to extreme).

If you feel the need to flame me for my opinions - go for it - I likely won't respond though.

:laugh3: :roll:

XJ6 said:
I think anyone that has wheeled a KJ or with a KJ appreciates them more than they thought they would. My first Jeep was a KJ and after wheeling it a few times (first time was with only 1500 miles from new) with no lift and not disconnected sway bar, I deceided to get my XJ which has so much more available for it. The KJ was fun to wheel with only a full set of factory skids and tow points (which were never needed), mine is an '06 with the electronic traction/stability control which is helpful offroad with it not being locked. I thought the wise thing to do was not to wheel something I was making payments on so the XJ took over the wheeling duties and yes it is more capable and easier to modify to my liking, but the KJ can be a lot of fun and quite capable if you don't mind banging the skids a lot. The KJ is now my wifes daily driver and we use it for any trips, the XJ is my daily driver and weekend wheeler. LOST is a great group of KJ owners and if any of them ever make it to Superlift ORV park in Hot Springs Arkansas I'd be glad to guide for them and wheel with them, although the only KJ I've seen at the park myself is mine (lots of XJs from mild to extreme).

If you feel the need to flame me for my opinions - go for it - I likely won't respond though.

:laugh3: :roll:

I agree with your opinions. My friend has a KJ with a 3 inch lift and it has impressed me several times. To be honest riding in it is what influenced me to get my XJ and loose the tuner car.

Back