• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Locked D30 question...

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a manual tranny in my jeep behind the 4.0L HO. i was wondering #1 is 3:55's low enough for 31's or 32's
#2 w/ 31's or 32's, will the D30 HP survive a locker w/ cromo's?
i know shock loading is much higher w/ the manual, so is it gonna be a axle snapfest?

terryd said:
ECTED vs E-Locker vs ARB???? commense to advising....

Just FYI - this question really needs to be in a separate thread in the mod. tech forum (and a *lot* has been written on this in the past; the search feature would really help), but here's my $0.02:

- E-Locker: fully-open when unlocked, so no additional traction on pavement / when the locker's not engaged. Mechanical engagement, but I've found evidence of GM & Nissan people destroying spider gears in vehicles equipped with them from the factory. Not available for the D30, D35, or C8.25 axles, so not an option for an XJ with stock axles anyway unless you've got a (rare) D44 in the back.

- ECTED: limited-slip when unlocked. Electromagnetic clutch engagement, so more of a super-tight LSD than a 'true' locker. Clutches may wear out over time, but from what I've heard pretty much everyone who has one is happy with it. Available for D30, D35, and D44, but not the C8.25.

- ARB: open when unlocked, mechanical engagement. Will require you to install OBA (or at least a compressor) at the same time. I've heard both good and bad about them, so take that for what you will. Available for D30, D35, C8.25, and D44.

My first choice had been the Eaton Electrac for the rear with an ECTED up front, but since the Electrac is now out of production I've gone with an ECTED at both ends. I really wanted limited-slip in conditions where a full-on locker isn't necessary, and wasn't keen on the extra time or money required to install the ARBs once the compressor was figured in. Not to mention that I can probably bodge a trail fix on an electric wire better than an air line in a 'get you home' situation.

Last edited:
ARB. If you need lockers, you probably need to air-up at the end of the trail. So on-board air should be in your plans, anyway. The nylon air hose holds up fine, if you route it correctly from the start. Only problem I've had in 12 years, is a burnt nylon tube due to bad routing near header down pipe. It was an easy trail fix--just carry a couple 3/6 compression couplers, and insure enough slack in the original installation to allow cutting out the bad spot.
Regarding air, I'd forgo the ARB compressor, and op for a larger supply, like the PUMA compressor:

I would wait on the locker. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you go ARB you have 2 choices 3.73-5.38 and 2.73-3.54. If you do decide to go with larger tires, you'll want to regear, and then you're going to be stuck with a locker you can't use.

splitz said:
I would wait on the locker. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you go ARB you have 2 choices 3.73-5.38 and 2.73-3.54. If you do decide to go with larger tires, you'll want to regear, and then you're going to be stuck with a locker you can't use.

I agree. No sence in spending $800 twice. Id reccomend to start off with a lunchbox type locker, since you can transfer it to a lower gear carrier.

the issue is that i want a selectable locker in the front. the rear i'm fine w/ an aussie or lockrite or something of that nature, cause i'm used to dealing w/ street rods w/ full spools and the like. the frontend is a different story. this thing is a part time wheeler, which is why i'm opting for lower lift and smaller tires (around 32's). i just want to have the most traction i can w/ this, and was wanting to be able to turn it off when i'm in the snow or ice here during the winter. i've got a daughter that's only 6 mo. old, and would like to keep this thing as sensable on ice and snow as posible. i've heard bad things about lockers in the front end on ice, snow, and mud.

Back