• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4wd AW4 into 2wd 99 XJ

kre8tivity

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to help a friend with a 99 2wd XJ. Can a 4wd AW4 be swapped into a 2wd XJ easily? I am new to XJ's and the AW4 and have been looking but finding mostly info about trying to put a 2wd AW4 into a 4wd and she needs to do the opposite. Anyone able to save me a bit of time and share any pertinent details or links to info?

It should bolt right up to the engine and plug-n-play on the wiring. You can bolt the xfer case behind that. You'll need to hunt down a matching front axle, driveshafts, xfer case shift linkage, xfer case floor shifter, maybe a tranny mount if they're different, etc. I don't think a 99 has a vacumn disconnect so no plumbing for that.

I just finished this on my 99 (actually testing tonight!!!).
Here is what I found::paper:
Transmission is a drop in, everything bolts right on. Tranny mount and crossmember are the same, no changes. Do not use the mount adapter (the black tray thingy that bolts on the 2WD tail housing) from the 2WD on the 4WD (it won't fit and will drive you nuts trying to). Remove the console and driver seat to install the 4WD shifter by the console and the bracket (under the car) on the side of the tunnel. On the speedo wiring, you will have to extend the harness about 8" (no, it will not reach so don't break it, just splice, heatshrink and seal 3 wires to it). Oil cooler lines are Ok, will fit. Overdrive cable (from TB) will fit Ok. Rear driveshaft is shorter so you'll need a 4WD rear driveshaft. On front end, it is just a drop fit, nothing is different. Just lift the truck, support by the frame rails (unibody rails...) and remove / install the trackbar, upper & lower control arms and steering links. Remove the brake calipers from the 2WD and reinstall them in the 4WD front axle so you don't have to open the brake lines.

You still will need the 4WD dashboard lights wiring harness (I didn't install them, I don't care about it) and splice a new lightand socket to the tranny shifter to light up the 4WD shifter, simple thing.

Oil to refill was 6QT of DexronIII/Mercon. I didn't remove the tranny oil pan.

I had almost everything because I used a donor vehicle, but still managed to loose (or just didn't remove:banghead: ) parts from the donor before crushing it...

It sounds simple and almost cookie cutter recipe, but it takes TIME :wave1: to do it clean and right.

Hope this helps.

Rafa

Back