• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

First Post: Leaking Fuel Injector

Robw_z

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,

this is my first post. I have an '87 Cherokee with the inline six. Two days after purchasing I noticed that one, maybe two of the fuel injectors are very obviously externally leaking(#2 and #3 coming from the radiator). Is this a common problem, and is it something a DIYer could repair? I've rebuilt engines before but I've been out of the mechanical game long enough(and had enough bad experiences) that I'm afraid to touch some things. It appears you just unbolt the fuel rail, disconnect some injector clips, pull out the fuel rail entirely and go from there...

Also, I cannot tell if it is the injector itself which is leaking or if it is leaking at the junction to the fuel rail. Any input is appreciated.

-Rob

Rob, first stop driving it till you fix this. Leaking fuel at an injectot can cause a fire (it sits over the exhaust manifold) which can melt the hood release cable....there goes the Jeep. It's happened numerous times.

There are o-rings at the top of the injector at the fuel rail and another at the intake. There is a kit available at the dealer for about $15 for this.

If you find the injector is leaking where the plastic meets the metal you'll need to replace the injector.

If you search for injector leak or similar you should find pleanty of input on this. Good Luck..

Check carefully. "Body leaks" on RENIX-era fuel injectors are common - and you've got a RENIX. This isn't a fault of the system - just that the State of the Art has moved along since then.

Your best bet would be to get a set of reconditioned pulls from FiveO Motorsports - I have heard consistently good reports from the field for them, and I'll probably use them the next time I need injectors. I believe they have listings for Jeep, but you want a set of six 19#/hour fuel injectors.

Concur - do not drive until you get it fixed. Engine bay fires suck - and the AMC inline six has the exhaust sitting directly under the intake. A fuel rail leak - of whatever sort - is a good way to have an engine burnout.

I've also given tips on doing the job (as recently as earlier this week!) so a search should yield good results. You will also need to get a couple of fuel line quick-connect kits - get those from the dealer, at about $10-15 a copy. You need two. I haven't found a suitable aftermarket replacement yet.

Expect the whole job to take about an hour - it's easy enough to do.

rob
5-90 and John both have good advise I am the earlier this week that 5-90 is refering to...

here is what I have picked up (I plan on doing a write up this weekend)

quick clips for each end of fuel rail
(2) repair package mopar part #83502745
NOTE Auto Quest stocks a Standard Motor Product that is equal #HK7
O rings
(1) mopar part # 1-83503637
NOTE Napa carries a comprable kit but two must be purchased #?
(8) Ford Mustang 5.0, 19# type III fuel injectors

If you buy new injectors do not buy the o ring kit... new o rings will usualy be provided with the injectors
The site 5-90 provided for injectors is the cheapest that I saw(still couldnt afford it so I had to go ebay for now)
If you need to get any of the parts from a dealer check the web for mopar discount dealers... if you can wait a few days for parts to arrive you will save considerable money

quick clips for each end of fuel rail
(2) repair package mopar part #83502745
NOTE Auto Quest stocks a Standard Motor Product that is equal #HK7
O rings
(1) mopar part # 1-83503637
NOTE Napa carries a comprable kit but two must be purchased #?
(8) Ford Mustang 5.0, 19# type III fuel injectors

I am getting ready to put new injectors in my 87, I also bought type III mustang injectors from ebay, I haven't installed them yet. you bought mopar O rings, not ford? my 5.0 injectors has three orings 2 larger & 1 smaller. I know the Mopars olny have 2

Back