• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transfer case problem

WVUwheeler

NAXJA Forum User
I got my XJ last week knowing it had a few problems with 4wd but was told it was only the linkages. The previous owner said he had no problems when it was lifted 3 1/2 but after he put the new 6 1/2 on it started making the noise. The noise is a kind of grinding sound when put into 4hi kinda like its not completly engaging and when you go to 4lo you got to hold it in or it pops back out over the smallest bump. Do you think it could be more than just the linkages or is this a common problem?

is it a:
231 (2H-4H-N-4L)
or
242(2H-4Hfull time-4Hpart time-N-4L)?

First thing i'd check is the linkage adjustment.

In 4low you want to loosen the bolt going through the block on the linkage, place a 1/8" shim between the shifter and the bezel. Tighten the bolt and see if it still pops out of gear.

WVUwheeler said:
Thanks I'll do that tommorow any suggestions on the 4 hi problem?

Doing the adjustment first would lead one to believe the gear ranges were fully engaged to spec...if you still have problems it may be more involved.

Just spray it all down and try getting the adjustment correct, hopefully it would fix the noise you believe may be an incomplete engagement. Doesnt cost a dime other than some WD-40 to check this.

ok I'll try it out tommorow, I know its still working fine but the noise kinda worrys me and i don't like using it anymore than i have to till its gone

Back