• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much should I ask? (bumper)

WheelinJR

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking about selling my front bumper to make another, just to make a few extra bucks.

So here's the deal. I wanna know what kinda price i should ask for it. It was hand made by me, powdercoated black, and is set up to accept a skid plate on the bottom that I just haven't gotten to building.

The mount plate is 3/16" HRPO and the top plate is 12 gauge. The tubing is 1.75"OD .095" wall. I am considering posting up on craigslist locally or something.

Thoughts?

Pictures here http://gitout.com/v-web/gallery/v/Readers-Rides/JR/bumper/

coated1.jpg

WheelinJR said:
You shoulda charged more for that rear, hell you can barely buy the materials for that much.

Metal was cheap, I had maybe $75 into it including the JCR D-ring tabs. And about 4 man hours.

I just needed the cash. Its is on Pauls rig now (mud1059).

I think some people would rather buy a bumper that is tried an' true, what every else uses.

My .02.

I love it....now that I've used the hell out of it, I agree. I should have paid more :) I pulled a CJ all the way out of the Busywild on that bumper. I'm trying to hook him up with parts off my '88 I'm parting, but he hasn't given me a list of what he wants/needs! -Thanks again Eli!

Honestly I would shoot for $175.00

No offense or anything but the bumper doesn't look to Heavy Duty. So i'm not to sure someone would want to buy it to mount a winch to it, or us as tow points. I could be wrong, it may be very stout, but by the looks of it, theres just not much there.

Looks nice though, I like your design

SpazMoid said:
Honestly I would shoot for $175.00

No offense or anything but the bumper doesn't look to Heavy Duty. So i'm not to sure someone would want to buy it to mount a winch to it, or us as tow points. I could be wrong, it may be very stout, but by the looks of it, theres just not much there.

Looks nice though, I like your design

Light duty and light weight was my goal in building it. It's strong enough to push me around trees and rocks on tight trails without getting messed up, and thats all I wanted.

WheelinJR said:
Light duty and light weight was my goal in building it. It's strong enough to push me around trees and rocks on tight trails without getting messed up, and thats all I wanted.

Cool, well then thats the croud yoru going to have to sell to. Do you think you could safely attach a winch and have it be strong enough?

Pricing things that are hand made is VERY difficult.

Here is where I would start:
1. Cost of materials (including any hardware, tow hooks, etc)
2. # of man hours it would take to duplicate it, not how many hours it took to build the first time (it almost always takes 2x longer to do the first one).
3. Any additional specialty tools, knowledge, experience (tube bender? Welding?)

Add 1, 2, and 3.
Compare that number to "relatively similar products for the vehicle that it will fit" and price accordingly.

Michael

The questions you got to ask your self is, how much $$$ and time you have invested into it. Whats the cost of materials, how much of your time, and what do you think your time is worth? Start off a little high, and if you have no bites, come down in price.

SpazMoid said:
No offense or anything but NOT ENOUGH LIGHT TABS!

Thats why they invented Duct tape and JB weld.

Back