• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 outter knuckles

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
can i use my 1988 outer d 30 knuckles,hubs,calipers,etc... on a 1995 dana 30 axle with 97 up larger u joint shafts? I have put it together allready an have axle seal leakage only in 4x4 otherwise it is ok in 2x2 I did not change the inner seals when i had it out.before i change the inner seals i want to know if there is any problems with what i am using and thats why it leaks?I have alloy usa end seals in it and it still bypasses the end tube seals.Yes the vent is clear and clean.or do just the seal change and hope its ok?????????????????????:gag:

markaboo929 said:
... otherwise it is ok in 2x2...

2x2 wtf? i'd like to see that, are you a stunt man?
(drivin on 2 wheels)

back on topic:
the shaft sizes are the same its likely the inner seals are bad, maybe you over-filled it, it should be areal problem, just keep a check on it and Don't run it DRY
and after any water x-ings drain and replace the watery gear-oil, it don't lubricate very well after its mixed w/ water.. :)

overfilled? i filled it till it started to come out the fill plug.Is it suppposed to be lower than that? yeah 2x2 is an amazing feat to endeaver.Extreme precaution is needed!!!!

You can use the early outer knuckles on the later housing, just make sure you run the right calipers to match the knuckles.

if its leaking that bad, you need to change the inner seals. When the front end goes dry, things get ugly fast .. not to mention its socially very irresponsible to spill that much oil on the roadway.

i also wanted to know if the reason the hub bearings are different from 87- 90 also makes it different spacing for the knuckles as well thats why i used all my 88 stuff

The bearings arent really year dependant, knuckles and calipers have to be paired together, and the bearings/rotors have to be paired together. I have a rig I deal with locally thats got a 94 axle with 2000 rotors/bearings and 87 knuckles/calipers on it (i had new calipers for an 87, and new bearings for a 2000 sitting around..).

THANX AGAIN .I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE BEARINGS CAUSE IF YOU GO PRICE THEM ON LINE IT SHOWS DIFFENET NUMBERS.AT AUTOZONE ANYWAYS AND THE PRICE IS DIFFERENT AS WELL.:rof:

Within the same year there is more than one option for the bearings too, depending which type of rotor you have (cast vs composite). Its best to take your current bearing with you and verify the thickness against the new ones.

Also, save yourself money in the end, track down and buy Timken bearings. Dont pick up any other brand. :)

markaboo you are having a problem i once had , 84-89 hubs seal on the stub shaft, 90 up hubs are a sealed unit early hubs cant be used on late axles because they wont seal out the dirt and water, use late hubs for the late axles with matching rotors

vette75406 said:
markaboo you are having a problem i once had , 84-89 hubs seal on the stub shaft, 90 up hubs are a sealed unit early hubs cant be used on late axles because they wont seal out the dirt and water, use late hubs for the late axles with matching rotors

wha? I think that went by me a little fast. None of the hubs keep dirt or water out of anything...

84-89 axles have what is called a dust slinger that is pressed on the the outer stub shaft , this is what the inner seal of a early hub rides on , this slinger cant be used on a later model axle (too big) this inner seal keeps the dirt and water out of the hub bearing itself . later models are a sealed unitized hub early models are rebuildable with new bearings inner and outer seals.

You'd be amazed I think how many early jeeps you find running aroudn without those slingers..

which explains why they have to replace them often , they will phyically bolt up and function yes , but all you have to do is take a late axle out and slide a loose hub up on the shaft and look at the back of the hub , the seal is not riding on anything , water and dirt are free to enter the back side of the hub and then destroy the bearing

markaboo , i have since reread your post and it appears you are leaking gear oil and none of what i posted about front hubs and axles has any thing to do with gear oil leaks , seal part number is 4874477 local dealership price should be 10.70 fits both sides

OK, here's my experience. It's not directly related, but it may help.

I've got a 97 D30, with 297x joints, solid shafts.
the knuckles are from an 87-90 D30.

You have to use the caliper that corresponds to your knuckle, early axles had the allen head caliper slide bolts, later ones had the hex head. The calipers are different.

Bearing selection is where it get's weird.
THe bearings on my axle are from a 97, so my franken 30 has this variety of parts:
97 housing and shafts
90 knuckles and calipers
97 bearings and rotors.

The key to all of this, I found after 5 trips to the parts store, is the bearings and rotors.
The shafts and knuckles aren't that important.

So, Get the right rotors for the right bearings and the right calipers for the knuckles and they will work just fine. if you get the wrong rotor it won't fit properly, and the caliper will press against it. If you get the wrong caliper for the knuckle it physically can't be bolted to it.

The dust shields on the shafts are worthless, the shafts seal at the pumpkin, I took them off, they just trapped mud in the axle tube.

thak you every one for your input/help...i am using ALL of my original 88 components.only thing different is that i am using a 95 housing and 97 297x joint shafts.and i was confused that it would leak only when using 4 wheel drive and it didnt leak when i was in 2 wheel drive ..it only seeps a little bit past the alloy usa tube seals i installed.I was curious if there was a clearence/spacing issues with the 88 disco outer knuckles and stuff being used on a 95 housing or if the inner seals are actualy leaking because they are going bad or they leaked because of the outer knuckles not being interchangeable with the non disc housing.I think im ok and confident NOW if that i change my seals ill be ok then......or at least my 'turdy axle will be!:eeks1:

thanx again 87 manche.I have some seals on the way from jeep4x4center.com in pompano beach.fl..plus there 2.22 each and omly 3.99 shipping = total with ship under $9.I used to live there and they are really great on prices on SOME things.now if i could only get there in time for there anual jeepshow on the 21st of april............:laugh2: :(

Back