• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushwacher Cut-outs on a 4 door ??

Nick_n_ii

NAXJA Forum User
So what are the thoughts of the Bushwacher Cut-out on a 4Door '92 XJ?

I'm tradeing my YJ for this(want to wheel with all 3 kids and my wife) only woos are no-lockers, regear and cut-out Flares. One rear was cut(baddly) than reinstalled the stock flare. Well I want to run 33's on this. Quick specs, 4.5 RE lift, SYE, 31" BFG Mt's, 8000lbs mile marker.
Here's a pic..
92xjtrade.jpg

Having run Bushwacker cut-outs, I can tell you they are purely cosmetic and have no function other than to cover the wheels. Absolutely the most overpriced crap you can buy are bolt on flares or stick on flares. One hit and they will never sit right again. You'll end up doing what I did (three times), increasing the bolt sizes and installing washers until you fenders and quarterpanels are totally destroyed.

In my humble opinion, a proper trim looks and functions a lot better than the Bushwackers.

Here is one of the best trimming guides on the internet: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm

That's my experience. Right now, I am running no front fenders and "compcut" rears with tubbed wheel wells from Jegs dragster. Works well for me. ;)

I avoid anything built by bushwacker like the plague.

If you really wheel your rig, stay away from the bushwacker flares. If all you do is street driving, with the occasional trip to the mall, put them on there.

Even little rocks thrown up on logging roads took chunks out of my flares. They suck. I can't say it enough. Bushwackers aren't for wheelin rigs.

bigolexj said:
Having run Bushwacker cut-outs, I can tell you they are purely cosmetic and have no function other than to cover the wheels. Absolutely the most overpriced crap you can buy are bolt on flares or stick on flares. One hit and they will never sit right again. You'll end up doing what I did (three times), increasing the bolt sizes and installing washers until you fenders and quarterpanels are totally destroyed.

In my humble opinion, a proper trim looks and functions a lot better than the Bushwackers.

Here is one of the best trimming guides on the internet: http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/fender_trimming.htm

That's my experience. Right now, I am running no front fenders and "compcut" rears with tubbed wheel wells from Jegs dragster. Works well for me. ;)
X2

I'm getting ready to dich mine as soon as I come acrose a set of TJ flares for a decent price.

OK, YA I wheel mine and I wheel it hard, but at the same time it is my DD, so I'm in need of some kinda flare..

What about Rusty's?

I've installed a set bet never wheeled with them.

X3 on No Bushwhackers.
Mu buddy paid the crazy amount for his, and soon after offered them to me for $100 cause he was tired of repairing what they did to his ride whenever he touched something with them.
I put TJ flares on the front YJ's on the back and the other day I pushed a small tree aside with the fronts and they showed no sign of it. Granted the wheel well pushed in a bit, but a steady pull and they were back in shape... the flares were fine. That would have either destroyed the sheet metal or the flares on the Bushwhackers from what I have read and seen.

I seem to have a different opinion than most. I really like my Bushwacker flares. I have had them on my rig for around five years, and they have held up well. I believe that is because of the way I attach them. I use the blue pastic wall anchors. They hold them on strong, but break when enough force is applied to them. This keeps from destroying the flares and pulling bigger holes in my fenders. Sure, I have to pick on up off the trail every once and awhile... but so what.

And I do wheel my rig pretty hard...

Jeremy

My point wasn't that you "can't" wheel your rig hard, it's that the Bushwackers cost a lot and they are a waste of resources for a rig that is wheeled at all IMHO. It depends on your priorities, but even if I was the richest man on the planet, I wouldn't buy the Bushwackers again. Total waste of $350 and about $100 in hardware--not to mention countless hours repairing them when removing them would avoid all of the strain.

jrowell said:
I seem to have a different opinion than most. I really like my Bushwacker flares. I have had them on my rig for around five years, and they have held up well. I believe that is because of the way I attach them. I use the blue pastic wall anchors. They hold them on strong, but break when enough force is applied to them. This keeps from destroying the flares and pulling bigger holes in my fenders. Sure, I have to pick on up off the trail every once and awhile... but so what.

And I do wheel my rig pretty hard...

Jeremy

The older flares like mine, and yours too from what you it sounds like, were made from a slightly different material than the current flares. The old material is far more pliable than what they're using now. I've got BW's on my rig and they've stood up pretty well to trees and the sides of washouts, and they've got the scars on the outsides to show for it.

The new material is much more brittle, so the new flares will tend to crack where as the old ones would bend. As much as I do love the way the BW flares look, I would probably not do them again on a rig that was going to be wheeled a lot.

As for Rusty's.... his are worse than BW's in terms of breakage.

I've been running BW's for around 5-6 years and have flopped my rig. They have a few scratches but have held up well.

newrig.jpg

Try 4 Rear TJ Flares...you can find them cheap online new (tellico4x4, 4wd.com, etc...)...half the cost of Bushwhackers...and they look great! It's on my to do list in the next month.

bigolexj said:
My point wasn't that you "can't" wheel your rig hard, it's that the Bushwackers cost a lot and they are a waste of resources for a rig that is wheeled at all IMHO. It depends on your priorities, but even if I was the richest man on the planet, I wouldn't buy the Bushwackers again. Total waste of $350 and about $100 in hardware--not to mention countless hours repairing them when removing them would avoid all of the strain.

Well, I don't thnk I wasted my resources... although I did put $350 flares on a jeep that cost me $700! 8>) But I like the look of them. For my taste, I have seen no flare that looks better. I do agree, they're not great for a rig that gets wheeled HARD... Although with a little effort you can make it work fine.

By the way... $100 in hardware? I have spent $10 bucks if that...

$100 in hardware refers my gas money going to and from Lowes and the bigger bolts and drill bits to open up said holes on the sheet metal. (Read my first post above, I've had to go bigger 3 times and it just kept getting worse). ;)

I do wheel my rig HARD though. Then again, many here do. That's why it's called "Modified" :D

You know I'm noticing one big difference in were you guys wheel and were I do,, ROCKs, there are realy no big ones here in Michigan heck our class 5 trails wouldn't be class 2's out west...

Like said earlier, go with 4 rear TJ flares, it looks good IMHO.

Rear TJs:

cover10.6.jpg

I think that TJ flares are nasty, i would go fenderless before i went TJ..

That write up on rocklizard is great..

I have bushwackers and got them for $180 or so it think. Just about the right price.

But they are the biggest PITA to install [the rear]. But i like the look. Just take your time installing them, following Jason's write up on Jeepin.com.. make sure to do a good job on the fender cutting for looks below the flares.. try to cut them to fit, but also to run them without flares on'em.. [make them look purty] then when you wheel you can takem off and its no biggie... also if i didnt have fender flares id have crap all over my jeep everytime there is a storm.. cleary for most that isnt an issue but it makes it a little easier to clean. just thinking out loud LOL :wave1:

Back