• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

locker delima

chrslefty

NAXJA Forum User
OK guy here it goes ;
i have a 8 1/4 and it currently has a lock right in it that has gone south the teeth are pretty much toast on em .so i need a new locker. my question is this .
should i just put another one in ?(lock right )
or should i pony up and get a
1 detroit
2 arb .
i know the value and pros /con of all but i guess my concern is longevity vs cost ratio .will a detroit rip up like the lock right ?or break if i lose a shaft. if so then I'm out the price of that locker + the install price ,same with the arb .but if i go with another lock right i know that it will go in a couple of years but i can Carry spare spider gears if it goes out on the trail and do the install my self . but then ill be layin dow that cash every couple of years when i could have applied it to a better more permanent solution .

whats you thoughts on the matter ....

oh yea i run 35's
chris

depends on which 8.25 axle you have

to me i'd not waste the $ on either chry-co axle,,
whether its 27 or 29 spline, but as many say the 29spline is ~nearly~ as strong as a d44..

i know arb has made many improvements in the lat few yrs resulting in Less problems from the airlines leaking and compressors dying but still a detroit is more dependable, it really depends on how much road driving you do with your rig and how improtant a "selectable" locker is to you,,

Detroits are tough, some breakage can occur but not often, and not likely to "wear-out" like the teeth on the Lock-right did.

its the 27 spline , selectability isn't so much the issue neanthe is the axel choice .ill carry spare shafts and live with what i got .the 4.56 seem to work well for my application. my main concern is the locker its self. thanks for your reply and thoughts though

Detroits can break if they are violently loaded or unloaded as what happens when you break an axleshaft under power.

If you really want to save money, get a spool.

I have detroits front and rear in my rig. I really like them and have only broken 1 But it was a D30 and I was being stupid. Tractech did warranty the unit and I got a free replacement. I've never heard of a Detroit wearing out though.

i dont think there is /i couldnt find a spool for the 8.25

this is my consern .
Detroits can break if they are violently loaded or unloaded as what happens when you break an axleshaft under power.

chrslefty said:
this is my consern .

Yup, that is the risk you take. I have seen Detroits break when breaking an axleshaft or hub, and I have seen some pretty violent parts-a-flyin' hammer down assaults resulting in breakage, but not damage the locker. Actually, come to think of it, the only units I have actually seen fail, are mine (being stupid) and a couple guys running 39.5 IROKs on thier 4500+ pound rigs with d44's and lots o horsepower.

If you are worried about breaking the unit, stay with the lunchbox, or go ARB.

IMHO, ARB stands for All Ready Broken, and I will stick with my detroits.

I've got a HP 30 in the front and an 8.8 in the rear. I beat my Jeep like a red headed step child and I have yet to break my rear anything.

Go the ARB route. While your doing it, get some $200 29 spline alloy shafts, and be all 29 spline.. ;) Two upgrades at once.

I used to be rah rah pro detroit, but I've seen one too many go south with broken shafts in the last year. I'm pulling mine for an arb this summer (arb's sitting on the shelf, time is short though).

Back