• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Skid plate priorities

Rod Knee

NAXJA Forum User
I have a "96 XJ, pretty much stock but with sway bar disconnects and 235 all-terrain tires. Added aftermarket bumpers about a year ago. I thought about a lift/bigger tires but decided to go with the 235's because I didn't want power loss issues on the highway, living in South Dakota but going out to Utah for most of my trailing. I don't have much interest in rock crawling for its own sake and find the stock height satisfactory, although I may add 1.5 to 2 inches.

But with just stock height I'm thinking I need to armor up. I'd apprexiate input as to how to prioritize skids. I'm thinking, in descending order of importance: 1. Rock rails, 2. Transfer case skid, 3. Gas tank skid, 4. Engine skid, 5. Steering components/control arm skids.

What do you think.

I would put the rock rails behind the t-case and gas skids. Sure you are going to damage the body but it is better then damaging the t-case or ripping open the gas tank. I would just be cautious about the rails till you get them on.

wheeling at stock height for the past 7 years, this is the order of importance I have found. though I wouldn't imagine it would change too much regardless of height.

1. Gas Tank (easily the most whacked skid)
2. T-case
3. Rock Rails
4. Engine

I don't have the control arm skids and don't really ever plan on getting them.

I got a warn tcase skid at cseoffroad for about 80 bucks at my door, it's taken a pounding under my rig, so it's a good cheap option.

I can't speak about the XJ tank, but I feel much more comfortable with a t-case skid, and even though I had a factory one, it was the first skid to go on my junk.

Back