• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

dana 30 non disco seal question

markaboo929

NAXJA Forum User
I have a dana 30 out of a 1995 xj with 97 tj shafts with the 297x u joints an i used my original 1988 dana 30 outter knuckles and hubs brakes...etc...my quetion is that are the shafts supposed to move in an out slightly as you turn the wheels?I am having the seals leak when i use 4wheel drive but doesnt leak when in 2 wheel drive.I thought the seals in the diff for the axles might be bad and cant explain why they only leak when in 4x4.I did not change the inner seal before i did the exchange.Just wondering if they ARE leaking and this is a common sign of leaky seals.I dont wanna pull it apart an change the seals to find out It will still leak be cause of other problems????

I don't know anything about different years meshing, and replacing seals is a pain, but at least it's a relatively cheap fix. New seals are like $4 / piece. Plus you can always put outer axle seals in and not worry about it.. lol

AlloyUsa makes the tube seals. They really work at keeping water and mud out of the tubes. On a scale of 1 to 10, comparing the stock tube seals and the AlloyUSA seals, I would give the stockers a 4 and the AlloyUSA a 9.5. Nothing gets past the wall of grease! ;)

ACTUALLY I ALSO DO HAVE THE ALLOY USA END SEALS SORRY I DIDNT MENTION THAT.ITS FUNNY THEY DONT LOOK LIKE THERE PARALLEL TO THE AXLES THEM SELVES- BUT IT DOES LEAK IN 4X4 NOT IN 2X2. THEY ARE BOTTOMED IN THE AXLE TUBES. DUNNO?:doh:

The Alloy USA seals are NOT INTENDED to keep lube in!....they are intended to HELP keep grime out of the tubes.....if anyone has had luck with them keeping lube in....it's just a fortunate happenstance.

oh i knew that i wasnt trying to seal it with those i had it out and when i put in the 97 tj shafts i installed those as well to keep mud out.I wanted to know if theere are any spacing clearences issues and thats causing my leakage????

Back