• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Muffler Hole/Exhaust Noise

nrd2052

NAXJA Forum User
2k1 XJ limited with some sweet (what I think is) exhaust noise. Sounds like a constant droan coming from right around where the muffler is whenever i've got my foot on the skinny. When it's off - no noise. So I looked at the muffler today and didn't notice anything major but i did notice a small (1-2mm) hole in the front of the muffler. It looked so perfectly round that it almost looks as if it should have been there. Any insight into my problem would be appreciated.

That might be a drain on the muffler.

Maybe you have a cracked exhaust manifold? Check it out. It's common, although I thought they redesigned the exhaust manifolds for the later XJ's.

Here's an extreme case, but the area is the same as where they usually crack.

BrokenHeader.jpg

wow, that is extreme! Thanks for the reply. I will go out and check it this morning. I am new to the cherokees and i am wondering if it is the manifold if it is something i can replace myself.

Its more difficult than changing the oil, but a intermediate amerature can do it.

They sell a cheapo knock-off of the OEM exhaust manifold, that has bellows welded into it to compensate for the expansion/contraction, you can usually find them on the eBay.

The hole in the muffler is supposed to be there. It drains moisture from condensation - both my 2001 and 1999 had it. I don't think that's what's making your noise though.

I had a friend who worked for ford in their emissions engineering department and he showed me a trick that involved plugging the tailpipe and listening for the leak until the engine stalled. think that would work to find this leak?

I've always wondered - what about a halloween fox machine forced into the exhaust and you could see where it was leaking out?

I'm not sure if that is sensor safe though......would have to research.

I don't think that the fog machine would hurt the sensor as ling as it wasn't hot. All that a fog machine uses to make the for is glycol and water. The glycol is kinda like some oil. Like vegi oil or something, and the amount of fog you would have to use would be minimal.

Ok, this may be a weird thought but do you know what kind of muffler is under there? Some of the noisy ones (flowmaster etc.) are supposed to be loud. After we had woken up our neighbours one too many time we replaced our flowmaster with a stock muffler and the XJ is almost civilized now. Anyway, just a thought.

Back