• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

O2 Simulator recommendations

OCMI_Teddy

NAXJA Forum User
I live in the great commi state of California and just passed my smog. I bought a Magnaflow highflow cat that did not come with the o2 sensor whole, due to it being 1/4 the price of the OBDII one. So I wanted to know where the best place was to get a O2 Sim was.

summit racing. they're super cheap, but it's even easier just to weld a bung onto your muffler and do it right.

bung?

Yeah.

HEGO sensors all use a standard thread (M18-1.5, IIRC) and you can get weld bungs to add one to any existing setup.

The "downstream" HEGO sensor (the one in or after the catalytic converter) is there to monitor catalyst function, and your control system apparently hasn't realised it's not there yet. That's why you passed (and why I generally own "pre-OBD" vehicle, by the by.)

Any competent muffler shop should have a boxful of bungs for custom jobs (they only cost a couple of bucks each) and can drill a hole in your pipe after the cat - or in the cat itself - and weld one in for you. If they don't have anything pressing at the time, it will probably take 15-20 minutes.

Then, just get a replacement HEGO.

Costwise? Probably cost you about the same as getting the simulator would, but you're maintaining proper function, rather than bypassing something.

HEGO = Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen (sensor.) Typically, any O2 sensor with more than one wire is a HEGO - the old one-wire units were EGO (Exhaust Gas Oxygen (sensor)). Sometimes also called HEO2 - but HEGO is more common.

you know too much 5-90 :D

Thanks!

OCMI_Teddy said:
you know too much 5-90 :D

Thanks!

Why for do you think I'm writing these books? I've got a lot more to cover - and considering I've been killed twice, it would probably be a Bad Thing for us to lose all this information...

I could use a bigger HDD for my laptop - it's clogged with tech...

Back