• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

transmission fluid recommendations?

95RedCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I really need to change the fluid in my 95 cherokee transmission. It has 230K+ miles on it and the transmission fluid smells burnt. I"m assuming that since it has so many miles, that the only thing keeping it shifting smooth and not leaking or blowing up is the gunk built up over years.

Do you guys recommend any type? I was told to use mercon/dexron, but I would like to find out what has the least detergents in it. What do you suggest?

TIA!

The AW4 (assuming you have an auto, which it sounds like) can be picky about what you put in it.

Pick up a few quarts of Dexron III and you'll be just fine. Go ahead and pick up a new filter and replace that while you have the pan off. Also, i'd go ahead and change the fluid in the transfer case (provided you have a 4x4)....since you'll already be messing with ATF. I believe when I did a tranny fluid and filter change, along with a tcase fluid change (both done on the same day), it took about 6 or so quarts combined...but don't quote me on the exact amount it will take, as I don't remember specificaly off the top of my head.

The tranny takes roughly 5.5 quarts if you drop the pan and filter. The transfer case takes about 1.2/1.3 quarts. Mercon/Dexron III and I would stay away from synthetic.

xcase and tranny = same fluid, just did mine yesterday actually.
dexron III

For the AW4? Just go to Napa and get the filter kit....I can't give you an actual price on the filter, because I get my stuff at a discount from them. I wanna say it was somewhere around $30, but I could be wrong...

And fram OIL filter???....i'd recomend going with another brand. Do a search on here and you'll see why. Myself, I run Napa Gold with zero problems.

If you get it totally flushed which at that mileage isn't a bad idea figure about 5 gallons. I actually used over that to get it back to Clear red fluid.
Your tranny will love you for it :loveu: That was at about 200K

Yes chances are the filter would be Pioneer brand at most local parts stores. It's usually around $20 for a kit which includes filter and gasket. That has been my experience anyway.

boise49ers said:
If you get it totally flushed which at that mileage isn't a bad idea figure about 5 gallons. I actually used over that to get it back to Clear red fluid.
Your tranny will love you for it :loveu: That was at about 200K

what is involved in a complete flush?
I have the SeaFoam TransFlush stuff, but forgot to run that thru it before I changed the fluid. What is required to flush it?
I added a cooler at the same time, maybe I'll just run out and grab some more dexIII and run the Seafoam stuff thru it anyway. If a flush is simple to do at home I'll add that to the to-do's aswell.

thanks

Ok, HOW THE HELL do you get the pan off I went to change my filter a couple months back and the pan would NOT come off. It would hit the cross member and bind up like crazy because of the filler tube (I was underneath crawling around like a bum - no lift no jack stands at the time) What the hell is the trick to removing the pan? Right now mine pan is covered in Gasket poop and holding, I have the actual gasket and filter sitting on my shelf collecting dust, I would love to install it on mine. Mine is a 96' 4x4 auto (obv)

Disconnect the filler tube and you have to kinda work it out around the crossmember and everything else. It can be a bit tricky.

Aw, come ON, just because Fram makes their oil filters with cardboard:
framopen.jpg

Boy, you are picky, picky ;-)

J-Roc said:
Ok, HOW THE HELL do you get the pan off I went to change my filter a couple months back and the pan would NOT come off. It would hit the cross member and bind up like crazy because of the filler tube (I was underneath crawling around like a bum - no lift no jack stands at the time) What the hell is the trick to removing the pan? Right now mine pan is covered in Gasket poop and holding, I have the actual gasket and filter sitting on my shelf collecting dust, I would love to install it on mine. Mine is a 96' 4x4 auto (obv)

I have that same problem when I do mine. I can not get the filler tube disconnectted at all. So when I take mine off, it never reqally comes completely off, just XXXX eyed off to the side of the filler tube, giving me just enuf room to get at the filter, scrap the old goop off and carefully line up all the holes to re-attach the pan.
it is a biatch of a job, and the first time it is very frustrating, but it can be done, just wiggle this, move that and it will provide you with enuf room to do the job.

I have been wanting to change the filter and fluid in my tranny. I talked to a local shop. They told me they can flush my tranny and the filter wouldnt need replaced. My question is my XJ has 260K miles and as far as I know nothing has ever been done. Would the flush be good enough or should I have the filter replaced also?

You want to drop the pan and change the filter, a flush is nice because it will get all the fluid, because about half the fluid will be trapped in the torque converter and hydraulic circuits of the trans.

But, accumulated residue from the clutches and frictions surfaces and small wear metal particles will be in the pan on a magnet and in the filter. Most of it looks like a gunky greasy blob on the magnet. So, dropping the pan, cleaning it out and putting in a fresh filter is beneficial.

I don't know how well this works with the AW4, but other trans, people will do the filter/pan oil change, then disconnect the return line of the trans and run it to a bucket. Then run the motor and trans, pouring in fresh oil at the same rate its coming out into the bucket. That would replace a lot of the trapped fluid, without paying someone to use a big machine to do the same thing. BUT, there are risks doing that obviously.

Mudweiserjeep said:
I have been wanting to change the filter and fluid in my tranny. I talked to a local shop. They told me they can flush my tranny and the filter wouldnt need replaced. My question is my XJ has 260K miles and as far as I know nothing has ever been done. Would the flush be good enough or should I have the filter replaced also?
I would advise against a flush at your milage. With higher milage tranny's, flushes tend to break lose any of the gunk that's actually holding some things together inside. This can cause leaks, or worse, chunks of gunk to get spread around inside the tranny....and you don't want that.

I would just do a simple fluid and filter change. You'll get a good part (but not all) of the old fluid out...and it's better than doing nothing at all.

beakie said:
I have that same problem when I do mine. I can not get the filler tube disconnectted at all. So when I take mine off, it never reqally comes completely off, just XXXX eyed off to the side of the filler tube, giving me just enuf room to get at the filter, scrap the old goop off and carefully line up all the holes to re-attach the pan.
it is a biatch of a job, and the first time it is very frustrating, but it can be done, just wiggle this, move that and it will provide you with enuf room to do the job.

I was able to get mine completely off.....it took a lot of swearing and creative twisting (didn't think my wrist and arms could rotate in that direction...LOL) but I finally managed to get it completely off. It was a pain though, I agree with you there.

Has anyone tried the DIY flush, where you disconnect the return line and fill the trans as the fluid is pumped out?

They all love this over on a Mini-Van board I'm on, they've never had a problem. They don't like me mentioning there is a thermostat in the A-604 trans that redirects most of the cool fluid back into the pan, so it might NOT be as effective as they think.

It is a way to replace more than half the fluid, but like I said, NOT without risks though.

Back