• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clutch Master Cylinder

wkfrst

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone,
I just bought a 5 spd 93 Cherokee Sport with some clutch problems. I read a ton of threads on here and know that my master cylinder, hose, and possibly slave cylinder are bad. I bled the system and it worked for about two days but now I am losing fluid again. I found a master cylinder and hose at the junk yard but wasn't sure if that would even fix it. I have heard that once it goes dry it is no longer good. Should I even put the time into the one from the junkyard or just fork out the cash on a new master cylinder...also should I go ahead and replace the the internal slave cylinder at the same time.
thanks in advance

When I got my XJ I was loosing fluid, mine was the slave cylinder, I would loose it and it would be gone within a week. finally one day at an intersection, my slave cylinder finally went, and dropped it all out, I tried to fill and it just drained.
I'd do the salve cylinder first, pluse, while your there if need be, you can do the rear main, and check your clutch. once your in the bell housing, the slave cylinder goes in pretty easy.
-Matt

My original master had an aluminum bore. The piston cups failed causing it to bypass. Would be fine for a while and then the pedal actuation point would slowly drop closer to the floor. After further inspection the piston actually scored the bore.

Replaced with a jobber (overseas) master with plastic bore.. Failed 1 year later with a broken internal spring.

Replaced with a jobber (lucas) master... Two weeks later, all good..

SO, the moral of my story: You get what you pay for.

Clutch slave o-ring will flatten out over time and bypass. Much more expensive.

Well I am new to the xj so I am not sure if the master cylinder is the same as I have on my yj. But if you find that is the problem I would say get a new one. I almost bought the rebuild kit for my yj but the the guy said the new one would have a life time warranty for a few bucks more.

But like Rev said find the problem before you try and fix it.

hey, do NOT use junkyard cilinders at all,

I usually go and replace master and the slave at the same time, when one dies, the other will soon follow. I use aluminium and plastic masters, with no problem ....

I used a Howe Racing Master Cylinder. It has a stainless bore and kits are available. I got a 7/8" but a stock XJ is a 3/4" bore. I went bigger to compensate for resurfacing the flywheel. They run around $50.

It takes a minor amount of fab but is well worth it. You also end up with an adjustment that the stock unit does not have.

Make sure and check that your fuse block didn't get covered with brake fluid. It will fubar it if you don't clean it off.

howeMC.jpg

If you need to work either the Master or slave, rebuild/replace them both at the same time. If you just do one, you will end up blowing the other one shortly after...Murphy's Law + a little science.

Back