• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Cherokee I6 5 Speed No Start

flash2pablo

NAXJA Forum User
TO start i have searched the threads and nothing really seemed to help me.

Ok, Here is my issue and i will try to lay it out as well as possible.
I drove the cherokee to work yesterday, no noticeable problems. After work I go to leave and my jeep won't start. When the key is turned to the on position it begins to make a noise sounding like the started is priming or what ever it does. But when the key is turned to the start position where it should turnover it only clicked and acted like it has no power at all, until you turn it back to the on position where the power will slowly act like it is charging up. I think it is just a loose cable so i tried to fix that which didn't help. So i tried to jump it, this did nothing. So i tried to check the starter and solenoid, but i really don't know what i would be checking, so other than looking at them i didn't do a whole lot. Next i thought that if the started was the problem i could pop the clutch and it should start, this also did not work. I have checked fuses and as far as i can tell they are all good. But any help telling me which fuses i should look at would be great.

My only guesses are that it is either not getting fuel or spark. I don't think my starter is bad, but i may be wrong on this.
I think it is probably not getting spark becuase it should have started when i popped the clutch if it had spark. But i do not know how to fix this problem.

Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

PBen

3 quick questions
1: how well is the battery charged? is it good?
2: how clean are your connections on your battery cables?
3: is the terminal at the started tight and clean?

Its where I usually start when my cars dont start

Thanks for the ideas, i have checked them adn tightened them, so i am pretty this isn't it. If this was the problem couldn't i still pop the clutch to get it too start???

Sounds like the battery or a bad connection. If the battery is gone, sometimes it will not jump start either.

I tried jumping it off another car and off a jumpstart station and it wouldn't start.

I guess i will check every connection now.

i have the 4.0/AW4..'01...same problem. except when i turn my jeep off and try to turn it on i get nothing at all...no lights, no nothing. i got the battery tested at wallmart and they said its good. i think thats bs and they dont want to give me a free battery...(3yr warrenty, battery is less than a yr old) is there any thing els that could cause this? (battery cables are new and connections clean)

thanks

Back