• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Control Arm and Drop Bracket Questions

carlton989

NAXJA Forum User
I am about to install the control arm drop brackets on my 99 XJ and I have a couple questions about the install. The Jeep has a 3.5" RE Super Flex lift on it with a .75" coil spacer in the front. I have RE fixed lower control arms and Adjustable Upper control arms. I am only installing the drop brackets right now and I will get the braces later on.

1. Is it easier to install the braces with the drop brackets or can I install them later on?

2. What length do I need to adjust the uppers to once I install the drop brackets? I called RE and they would not give me the length. I wasn't sure if I need to change it or not, but right now they are setup for my current lift, w/o the drop brackets.

3. I have 3.5" coils in the front with a .75" spacer with an OR Fab bumper and it sits a little low in the front. Would RE 3.5" ZJ coils give me a little more lift than with 3.5" XJ coils and the spacer?

4. Would I need to re-adjust my upper control arms again with the extra lift if I got some 3.5" ZJ springs?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

1. You can install the braces later on but I would recommend installing them along with the drop brackets. There is a lot of force on the brackets when offroading and even when braking on the street.

For 2:
This is a good article to read about installing the drop brackets:
http://yuccaman.com/jeep/re_db.html

It gives the upper and lower control arm measurements for any lift height.

word of advice, do not tighten any bolt or nut until ALL of them are in. otherwise, some of the holes may not line up. Its easier to install dropbrackets on an XJ that hasnt been wheeled much.

Last edited:
Good advice above. You can run without the braces and do them later, just avoid anything major. The instructions online are much better than the one's that come with the kit by the way.

ya thats what i heard too, just didnt know if the XJ 4.5" coils would be better or the ZJ 3.5" coils would be...any thoughts?

I'm going to wait til I get the braces and new coils and install everything together, that way I can get it all aligned when Im done.

Last edited:
Back