• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proportioning valve

outlawjeep

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so I went to the local bone yard and got me a set of Crown Vic disc brakes (there ZJs were picked clean) and have them adapted. Now it's time for the prop valve to get a little work. Problem is I can not find a ZJ in a bone yard that I can get one from at a reasonable price.

So here is the question... Wouldn't any prop. valve that is disc /disc work? I mean they are all basically the same right? So I might be able to go back and get the valve from the Crown Vic that I pulled everything else off right?

Ray

Ok same but different question.

I got to PICK the bone yard clean and managed to get a ZJ prop valve...but it was a ABS Jeep with 4 wheel discs.

Will the prop valve from a ABS system work on a NON-abs cherokee??

KarlVP said:
Go to a dealership and get one from an 03 TJ rubicon.
Same problem there, they are $129 fro the part ($80 something if I use my discount) but I was trying to come up with a cheaper way. So I started thinking about it and my thought pattern was why can't you use any disc/disc one. They should all be the same.

Ray

Did you try it with the modification that eliminates the proportion effect of the valve? It lock up the rear to fast on my 31X10.50 tires but I know the big boys run with out a valve because the weight and size of tires. I'm going to 35x13.50's and hope I can get away with out the valve. Backing down a hill with a proportioning valve is not fun because the front tires lock and you slide. If mine is still locking on the rear too much with 35's I am going to see if the dealer can sell just the brass spool valve out of a grand instead of swaping the whole thing but I don't know if they sell just the parts of the proportioning valve. I wish I could find out the percentage proportion between the grand and the ruby. I'd get the one that has that has the most presure to the rear.

Bouncy said:
Ok same but different question.

I got to PICK the bone yard clean and managed to get a ZJ prop valve...but it was a ABS Jeep with 4 wheel discs.

Will the prop valve from a ABS system work on a NON-abs cherokee??

No problem at all and is what I have run for years now.

KarlVP said:
Hey, I just noticed you are from Hampton. I used to live in Newport News.

Anywho, A 96+ ZJ one will work for you. You should be able to fine one at Pete's Salvage yard on Jefferson.

I forgot about Pete's. Should have remebered too thats where I got my 44 from.

But the question still remains will any disc/ disc prop vale work? This has got me thinking, now. I am just curious what the different bias is between the ZJ, Rubi or any other one out there. Heck I know if I wanted too I could even call Jegs or Summit and get the adjustable one but where is the split? Is it 60/40, 70/30 50/50. Anybody know?

Ray

Back