• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing spring spacer

TerryDean

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched and can not find a guide on this. I am about to install my spring spacers and my front shocks. Do I have to remove all that hardware (pitman arm, etc.) or is there an easy way out? I have one set of spring clamps at my disposal.

Same as coil spring replacement, see your fsm or equivalent. I did not disconnect any steering,trac bar,or control arms, just the shocks,and sway bar

You need to use those spring compressors, take off your left front tire. Then let you left side flex down(not necessary but makes it easier) crank those spring compressers down on your coils, and pull them out, the put in your spacer up at the top, and then put the coil back in, compressing it if needed. Thats all it should take, repeat for the other side. The only thing youll have to remove is the tire and wheel, and shocks(This allows you to droop more and get the coil out much easier) and maybe your sway bar.

oops looks like i was too slow

Disconecting the Lower arms (at the axle) does make it easier if they are stock. It will droop a little further and be easier to put back in WITH the spacers, that is the key. Don't use the compressors unless they are quality. Harbor Freight spring compressors SUCK, Bent badly on XJ stock coils.

You don't have to use a spring compressor if you're springs are stock. There's a safer way....disco the shocks and swaybar end links, and use a bottle jack between the top of the axle and the framehorn to push the axle down enough to slip the spring out. Add the spacer, slip the spring back in, and reconnect everything. Like this:

Picture009.jpg

Jeff in VA said:
You don't have to use a spring compressor if you're springs are stock. There's a safer way....disco the shocks and swaybar end links, and use a bottle jack between the top of the axle and the framehorn to push the axle down enough to slip the spring out. Add the spacer, slip the spring back in, and reconnect everything. Like this:

Picture009.jpg

Will enoug compresion be out of the spring by that point so that lowering the axle will not risk the spring slipping out with energy still in it?

Yes, the spring will completely unload. In fact, it will practically fall out as you keep jacking. Once you get the axle pushed down far enough (the jack will hold it there for you to as an added bonus), rotate the spring around until it clears the mounting pad and the swaybar link mount. You may have to remove the bumpstop before the spring, if the cupped end of it is larger than the top of the spring. Use a pipe wrench to loosen it, it's held on with a threaded stud.

Jeff

be really carful with the springs while compressed, while instaling my zj coils yesterday i actualy had one shoot off and hit me in the head! it hurt pretty bad, on the next side i bungeed the compressors to the coil one still came off, but it didnt fly away. with the stock coils you dont need them, just have a buddy help you

shocks sway bar and track bar should get it done

Back