• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gear set up question

little red cheroke

NAXJA Forum User
i just got some PG 4.10 gears put in my HP D30 at my local 4x4 shop. my question is, the new gears are a lotttt tighter that factory. i know theres a 500mile breakin but i just wanted to make sure its supposed to be really tight at first before i put the axle in the jeep and start driving.

thanks!
david

Take it back to the shop....explain your concern....ask them to explain to you WHY they are sure the set up is in fact correct.....your description of a lottt tighter than stock really isn't anything someone on this board can use in a decision making process to advise you if it's ok or not...

Make sure you have a clear understanding AND a written warranty policy from the shop.

The pinion bearing preload is ususlly tighter on new beaerings than on old/used bearings. the rolling resistance will be more. But as mentined, if you're concerned, go ask the guys that set them up.

DaffyXJ said:
The pinion bearing preload is ususlly tighter on new beaerings than on old/used bearings. the rolling resistance will be more. But as mentined, if you're concerned, go ask the guys that set them up.

i called and asked, they said exactly what you said. he said it should move more freely after bout 20 ~ 30 miles.

Tight is kind of subjective....preload is around 25 to 40 inchpounds....the key is SMOOOOOTH!!! if its rough and crunchy or notchy, there are problems.

I'm a bit cautious about set up....I got shafted on the first gearset I had done....I had the same questions....but mine turned out to be from shoddy work. 1,800.00 bux down the pooper....now I do my own work.

Last time I had gears setup, it was really tight for the first week or so and then loosened up. I actually preferred the tight feel.

Back