• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

okay this is strange

mudrat

NAXJA Forum User
pulled the jeep in the garage a week ago to do sye and new driveline.its all installed went to fire her up and give it a test run.no start.radio lights everything works the gauge is reading 12 volts more than enough to turn it over.there is no click and trying to turn over just dead.while i was installing the sye i did have to take it in and out of park and 2wd and 4wd to get the driveshafts to line up.is there any chance its the nss.i've never had any problems with it not firing

What year,...

It sounds like its possible.
Anything else you disconnected?...trace all your steps..every little thing you did.
Remember during troubleshooting you must keep in mind, "what changed"

Lemme add. If it sat for a week or so,...and its an older battery. 12 volts is fine..if its there while cranking. you can measure 12 Vdc all day long without cranking. That wont mean its good to crank with. turn the headlights on and crank it to check. if they go super dim/ out completly, then that battery is probably in need of a charge. They should stay on ..or if you have a friend to measure Volts at battery while cranking.. it ought to be 12 or higher during cranking... mabye a try there...Good luck

Last edited:
maybe something happend with your NSS while you were down there. I would take a screwdriver and try to manually engage the starter by touching the + and - on the starter if it starts you know that its not the battery alt etc

my guess is that your battery is bad. replace a new one. Checking the battery while not cranking does nothing. There must be a load on the battery to check it!

i would say check you transfer case and gear shift make sure they are both in park and 2wd and check the neutral safety switch as mentioned above...
that is one of the few things that will stop power going to the starter solenoid.

Back