• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trucks broke please help!! Alternator problem!!

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Well I went in a decent sized mud pit yesterday, about as deep as the bumper with a good drop in. As soon as I came to rest, (very stuck) I noticed the check gauges light and the abs light was on. The volt gauge was sitting on 9v. (normally dead on 14v, never had a problem with it)

So, after I got winched out of the mud the gauge would bounce between 9-12 volts. When it went to 12V the dash light would clear then come back on when it hit 9V.

We hoped that it was just water/mud in a sensor that was causing the readings. It wasn't, about 10 miles from the site the truck started missing and died. A buddy boosted it and got it to a McD's parking lot where we cleaned everything and decided that the alt was dead. I pulled all the wires and cleaned them, checked all the connections and there is no obvious faults or breaks/unhooked wires.

Anyone have anything similar happen?

Heres the problem, I'm in england, there are no corner autozones that can test the system to tell me whats wrong, and the trucks 2 hrs away at a friends house. So, I'm looking at replacing the alt and a new batt. hopefully the alts just dead.

Anyone got any other suggestions? I'm looking at ordering an alt from the states, (why replace with stock when you can upgrade right??) Anyone have a suggestion on the best/cheapest one?

Truck is an 01 Classic

Yes I'm searching the site right now about alts.

Thanks guys, sorry for the book

Last edited:
You can try this, remove the alternator, dump it in fresh running water and clean all the mud out, let it dry for a day, hopefully you didn't do the bearings and such.
If you want to you can disassemble it some, depends on how comfortable you are doing this. Again clean it out... MUD BAD, ROCKS GOOD....
I'd also clean out your rear drum brakes too....and start rinsing the mud out from over the tranny, transfer case, cross members, between radiator and condensor with high pressure hoses or washer...

Start it up...
Crawl underneath..
Smack the back of the center of the alternator "smartly" with a hammer or other tool.
Watch you eyes...the mud will come flying out of the vents.

Nothing wrong with mud, just have to know how to deal with it.

Rev

Back