• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC System Issues......

chief xj

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I did a search and didn’t find what I was looking for. I am having problems with my AC. A couple weeks ago I had a friend refill my ac refrigerant because the compressor was cycling on and off all the time. We filled it up to specified amount per the service manual. Well, the other day I turned it on the AC since it was filled, and the compressor made a bad shudder noise when it cycled. Then the noise went away. The AC was blowing cold air so I thought well maybe the noise was just intermittent and wouldn’t cause a problem. I turned the AC on again today and it did the same thing. This time, I noticed that the refrigerant blew out of the high-pressure hose fitting coming off the compressor! When the compressor is making the shuddering noise, the high-pressure hose also pulses badly (it feels just like a pressure washer hose shaking and pulsing). Something is obviously not right. The funny part is the noise goes away after a minute and the AC blows freezing cold air? I don’t know what the problem is, but I suspect something may be clogged. Anybody have any suggestions. I want to get it fixed because it is making a mess in the engine compartment. Thanks for the help and the vehicle is a 99 Cherokee Sport with the 4.0L.

Does your compresser have service port valves on it? the stems are under aluminum caps (hi and lo) If so are you sure the valves are in the correct position for the correct operation of the A/C system. IF not the compresser with load up and shake like heck.

ptf18, I’m not sure about the service valves on it, I will check it tomorrow. As far as I know, the compressor was never messed with. It is the factory Sanden. I will put a set of gauges on it this weekend to see what’s going on internally.

Brandon

Your gauge hoses screw onto services ports on both the hi and lo side. I think those ports are part of the service valve assembly. If Im correct (not knowing your year) once you have attached the gage hoses you need to remove the aluminum caps which cover the valve stems of the service valves. To get your gauges to "read" you must open those service valves even though you open/close yopur gage set valves. The service valves are a 3 position valve and you have to be very carefull where you have those set.

Wallyman said:
A/C in PA? just roll the windows down. : )

LOL

When my buddy form TX visits up here in PA it could be 70 degrees out and he is wearing his carhartt jacket and still complaining he is cold!

Brandon

a couple of things to think about when troubleshooting:
1. when you recharged the system did you recover the old refrigerant before recharging. if not it is overcharged and this could be your problem.

2.Is the refrigirant coming directly from the high side port or just the purge valve? Service port=problems, purge valve=normal operation for overcharge/ too much pressure

3. If there is a clog in the system somewhere, it will be the orifice tube. if it is clogged it will build up pressure on the high side and cause it to purge

XJ9888,

1. No, there was hardly any refrigerant in the system. That is why it was recharged in the first place. I’m pretty sure the system is not overfilled, but will double check when the gauges are put on.

2. I am attaching a picture of exactly where the refrigerant blew out from. It is the high-pressure hose fitting.

compressor.jpg

3. I'm starting to believe (and hope) the only problem is the orifice tube.

Thanks for your help.

Brandon

Back