• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help,,,,,,shake..and vibe,,on 01 stocker.

wetazz

NAXJA Forum User
hello,,,,i have an 01 sport,,,80,000 miles,,,im the second owner,,,here's a little run down,,,,when i bought the XJ,,i noticed what i thought was a lil'' noise in the rear-end,,,,took it to the shop and was told it was a worn T/C chain assemb...so low and behold,,the said they put new one in,,,,noise went away,,,,,,fixed right,,,,,?? wrong,,!!,,,,when i drive on highway,,,at about 30-40,,at about the shifting point for my auto tranny,,(from 2nd. to 3rd.),,i have a lil'''vibe,, shake ,only in that speed rang,,,then it clears up,,,,so since then,,,i have put in new drive shaft,,,,,new yoke,,,new u-joints,,,new torque converter,,,,still the same,,,,,i never noticed this problem until haveing the work done on t-case,,,,,,,any ideas,,,,all help greatley appericated....thanks,,

you didn't say it so i'll point it out. check your tire pressure and the condition of your tires. If they are cheap tires or even good tires with a broken belt, it can cause this. My 2000 acted like this when i got it.. it was the tires.. Pirelli Scorpions... apparently they were known for this.

thanks,,cklaus,,,,well also i need to add that all these repairs are being made at the jeep dealership,,,no cheap fixes,,,,they claimed they had the wheels and rims/tires checked by a method i knew nothing about some load or stress test balanceing ?????? they tires are toyo 235/75 R-15 appear to be in fairly good shape...i feel maybe at 1st..the dealership wanted to stick my warrenty company,,,,,but not anymore,,,because the warrenty company paid off on the original cost of the t-case work,,,which they (the dealership) said was the problem,,,,,,,when i went to the dealership to pick up my jeep,,,,,,and headed up the higway i made it about 300 yards and felt the vibe,,,turnrd around took it back and said,,,,,,,,,,,i dont know what you've done but this vibe was not there befor you worked on my t-cas,,,,so,,,the new d-shaft,,,new yoke,,,,new u-joints,,,and torque converter has came not solely on my dime,,,,this is strange that the dealership cant figure it out,,,,,,?????????????????????????????????..clue-less in bama

this is strange that the dealership cant figure it out,,,,,,?????????????????????????????????..clue-less in bama
============================================
YES, tires should have been the first thing they checked unless it vib in PARK.
Do you feel in more in the stearing wheel, brake pedal, shifter, floorboards etc. It could even be a bad plug or injector.

wetazz said:
thanks,,cklaus,,,,well also i need to add that all these repairs are being made at the jeep dealership,,,no cheap fixes,,,,they claimed they had the wheels and rims/tires checked by a method i knew nothing about some load or stress test balanceing ?????? they tires are toyo 235/75 R-15 appear to be in fairly good shape...i feel maybe at 1st..the dealership wanted to stick my warrenty company,,,,,but not anymore,,,because the warrenty company paid off on the original cost of the t-case work,,,which they (the dealership) said was the problem,,,,,,,when i went to the dealership to pick up my jeep,,,,,,and headed up the higway i made it about 300 yards and felt the vibe,,,turnrd around took it back and said,,,,,,,,,,,i dont know what you've done but this vibe was not there befor you worked on my t-cas,,,,so,,,the new d-shaft,,,new yoke,,,,new u-joints,,,and torque converter has came not solely on my dime,,,,this is strange that the dealership cant figure it out,,,,,,?????????????????????????????????..clue-less in bama

Not trying to flame you but, please use proper punctuation at the end of sentences and capitol letters at the begining of new ones. Its hard to read your post!:exclamati

Is the vib hapening at a certain speed?

did you replace the front or rear driveshaft? if you havent done so, remove the front and see if it goes away. If it does, then get it balanced with new ujoints.

enough of the commas please.

thanks badron,,,yup,,they should have checked the tires,,,1st...but they did'nt,,,but after pain and suffering they said they have checked them,,,,as far as the vibe/shake,,never felt it until they worked on the t-case,,,,,the vibe is between 30+ to about 40,,,mph...the shake can be felt everywhere in the XJ,,floors,,,dash,,,seat,,,,it'll shake the coffee out of your cup,,,when full,,,but not until,,,30-35,,,then its gone at 40.......

hey djblade311,,,the rear has been replaced,,,,,,i did'nt think the front would come into play when in 2wd.am im wrong.??this happens in 2wd...on the smooth highway...

gee,,,i hate you dont like the way i type,but it's not my strong point,,english was not one of my best subjects,as i said it happens at 30 to 40 mph.So i dont guess anyone else has any ideas,.

wetazz said:
gee,,,i hate you dont like the way i type,but it's not my strong point,,english was not one of my best subjects,

It's not that we hate the way you type, but it does make it extremely difficult to follow your train of thought. Take it easier on the punctuation, and read around the other threads to get a feel for how people communicate around here. With that out of the way:

as i said it happens at 30 to 40 mph.So i dont guess anyone else has any ideas,.

As suggested previously, checking the U-Joints makes sense, but I'm confused by something you said earlier:

wetazz said:
i noticed what i thought was a lil'' noise in the rear-end,,,,took it to the shop and was told it was a worn T/C chain assemb...so low and behold,,the said they put new one in,,,,noise went away,,,,,,fixed right,,,,,?? wrong,,!!,,,,when i drive on highway,,,at about 30-40,,at about the shifting point for my auto tranny,,(from 2nd. to 3rd.),,i have a lil'''vibe,, shake ,only in that speed rang,,,then it clears up

From this, are we to take it that the initial symptom was noise from the rear end, but now that the transfer case chain has been replaced the issue is vibration between 30-40mph?

wetazz said:
i have put in new drive shaft,,,,,new yoke,,,new u-joints,,,new torque converter,,,,still the same,,,,,i never noticed this problem until haveing the work done on t-case

So pretty much everything that might be likely to be causing the issue has been replaced, as well as some that might not be. Some ideas off the top of my head:

- Which driveshaft was replaced? Front or rear? Is it correctly-balanced?

- Was the transfer case remounted at the correct angle front and rear?

- Are your engine and transmission mounts in good shape?

- Is the front axle centred correctly? It takes effort to screw this up on the rear, hence why I ask about the front specifically.

- Were the seals and bearings on the transfer case replaced or reinstaled correctly after the chain was replaced?

I'm leaning towards poor reassembly of the transfer case being the issue here, but it's not necessarily the only variable in the equation. And the list of potential problem areas above is by no means exhaustive, either...

Try swapping the tires front to rear. If the steering shakes - tires.
The late Cherokees don't have any disconnect on the front axle and it spins all the time. Try checking the drive shaft yoke at the transfer case. see if you can shake it (not the u-joint, the yoke on the transfer case shaft.) Another (ugly) possibility is: someone dropped your transfer case and bent an output shaft. check and see if they are running true.

ok,i have some new things to add to the check off list.Still trying to figure out this thingy,it's about to drive me crazy.i try not to 1/2 azz anything,if i cant do it right,ill wait until i can.Im not that much with autos,boats and marine problems are my thing.thanks for all the input,,,both about my XJ problem,and the english class.lol!!:smoker:

wetazz said:
gee,,,i hate you dont like the way i type,but it's not my strong point,,english was not one of my best subjects,as i said it happens at 30 to 40 mph.So i dont guess anyone else has any ideas,.

Let me help you out here. I will re-type your post the way it should appear so all of us can help you out.:lecture:

"Gee. I hate you don't like the way I type, but it's not my strongpoint. English was not one of my best subjects. As I said it happens at 30 to 40 mph. So I don't guess anyone else has any ideas."

I believe I read that someone suggeted to swap front wheels/tires to rear and rear to front. That is a good start. I had a similar problem on my XJ when I first got it. It had a broken belt in the front right tire and the left rear. It would only show up at 50 mph. If swaping tires around does not solve the problem, bring your Jeep to a tire place. NOT THE DEALER! Have them check the tires on the wheel balancer to see if the are out balance. This should also indicate if there is a broken belt or a out-of-round situation. Good luck!

P.S.

Stop using commas!!:looney:

hey thanks for the english lessons guys.How cool it would be if y'all knew half (1/2)as much about jeeps as you do english.
once again thanks.! and for you proper speaking folks,if you know you dont like my way of posting,when you see a post by me,just dont click.simple.
take care,have a great day,,,did i tell yall i wuz from the south,,,,with that being said,,,,HOW'S YOUR MAMA AND THEM !! ROLL-TIDE !!

ok,ok,ok, so yall no a little bit about jeeps.thanks again for all the suggestions.The next step is new T/case mount.We'll see how that goes.All i know is it's been a nightmare,i hav'nt spent 6 hours behind the wheel since i've owned it.i got it 3 months ago,,,it's been in the dealership almost a month.;thanks again for all the help,,,and im working on my english lessons.:moon:

new up-date,put new mounts in and did'nt help.so i went to the dealership this afternoon to find it out,,i ask if he would pull front driveshaft and try that.I must say it dont shake near as bad as it did when he pulled the front driveshaft out,so i guess ill have to accept it,tomarrow there gonna send the front driveshaft to be checked and balanced,,as i said all vibe is not gone but 80% of it is,.still feel a lil'vibe but the shake you coffee out of you cup is gone.but still not as good as it was befor they worked on it,.i sure wished i could figure it out,.thanks for all the input,,philip

wetazz said:
new up-date,put new mounts in and did'nt help.so i went to the dealership this afternoon to find it out,,i ask if he would pull front driveshaft and try that.I must say it dont shake near as bad as it did when he pulled the front driveshaft out,so i guess ill have to accept it,tomarrow there gonna send the front driveshaft to be checked and balanced,,as i said all vibe is not gone but 80% of it is,.still feel a lil'vibe but the shake you coffee out of you cup is gone.but still not as good as it was befor they worked on it,.i sure wished i could figure it out,.thanks for all the input,,philip

!!!1 ( I know I'm beating a dead horse here...but)

I have one for you. If you don't like the polite advice given on this board. Don't come here! We are all trying to help you out. Both with your forum etiquette, and the problem with your XJ. Is it really that hard to just move your finger over one key and hit the period instead of the comma key. Also only one time! My wife’s family is from the South and they are not idiots? Why do you simply think that because you are from Alabama that you have an excuse to act like a Jack Ass? As this thread keeps going on you seem more and more like a forum TROLL to me!

-J

Dear asshats: shut up and let him ask his question. He's doing his part to improve his typing; it's not your job to give him a continuing ration of s***, which only goes to add nothing of any value whatsoever to the thread. Moving on from that:

If removing the front driveshaft cured most of the problem, I'd also be looking in the area of the transfer case outputs and U-joints. Something's making me suspect that in reassembly and/or refitment of the transfer case, things weren't done quite right. Of course, an off-balance driveshaft could also be causing a lot of this, so it'll be interesting to see what they have to say.

Last edited:
whelp,folks im probably fixin to be banned.i sure hope not,i came here for help because i was told to by some folks on the jeep fourm board to do so.ive made 30 plus post there and have yet to be dogged out,like ive been here.but its ok,im a big boy i can take it.as far as you go jforse,you seem to have a prob. with me and i really hate that.you made fun of me,you've called me names,you've put me down,as i said befor stay away from my post.and i dont know if your wife or her family is an idiot or not.she treated me and my friends real nice the last time we saw her.not the prettiest thing we ever saw,but got the job done all the same.i dont know alot about the game of chess,but i think its your move.p.m.for a time and date to finish the game.stay off my post,leave me alone or you gonna recieve a history lesson son.philip

Back