• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ dies over bumps

sipx

NAXJA Forum User
After driving over a temporary construction water pipe, laying across the road, my XJ died. After turning the key, it immediately re-started. Now, over what seems like minor bumps, it continues to die, then restart. I've checked harness connectors under the hood, but see no apparent cause. Anyone encountered this before?

Ground.

Check the ground cable between the battery and side of the block.
Check the ground ribbon cable that connects between the firewall to the engine (near fuel injector #6).
Check the two cables going into the white relay - located in the engine bay, drver's side, beside the airbox.

If none of those help, then check/reseat all ignition cables.

If that isn't it, then research the CPS (crankshaft position sensor).

FUEL PUMP SUPPLY WIRE TERMINAL MAY BE CORRODED ON TANK TOP ? ? ?
GIVING INTERMITANT BREAK IN SUPPLY

would this cause the motor to die instantly i have the same problem my gages turn to zero and chek engine light comes on then it just starts itself back up and keeps running till the next bump its been happening for 2 months now stoped for a gew days and now its doing it again

FUEL PUMP SUPPLY WIRE TERMINAL MAY BE CORRODED ON TANK TOP ? ? ?
GIVING INTERMITANT BREAK IN SUPPLY

would this cause the motor to die instantly i have the same problem my gages turn to zero and chek engine light comes on then it just starts itself back up and keeps running till the next bump its been happening for 2 months now stoped for a gew days and now its doing it again

BASICS--year/engine/etc.

And no, if the fuel is cut off it should run for a bit until fuel pressure or volume gets too low.

Last edited:
Had a similar issue a few years back, the positive cable insulation was worn out at a spot, everytime I hit a pothole it was making contact with the frame and the engine would die and I could start it right back up. Aftera few weeks I noticed the problem and changed the cable and the problem has disappeared for good. Now I check all my cables regularly, I don't want to start a fire or cause electrical damage. :flame:

I would check the ignition switch connector in the column. You can also thump the bottom of the column with your knee while the jeep is running and see if it makes it die or hesitate.

My 87 did this for a while, and it turned out to be the wiring harness to the fuel pump/sender. I actually never figured out just what was wrong, just tied it up more firmly and the problem never recurred.

Double check the routing of the wire for the crank position sensor, because it can bump into the exhaust manifold and short out on bumps.

Back