• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

86 w/np228 driveline vibe issues?

paddlerdan

NAXJA Forum User
I am lifting my 86 xj with a np228 (no slip yoke) and am thinking a 4-5" lift using new rear leafs. Has any one out there had problems with the stock driveshaft in this situation? If so any (cheap) fixes?
My 228 is in good shape and I would like to keep it that way for now. Its a daily driver that sees some logging roads and mud occasionally. I'm running 31s for now.

Hey guys! why the cold shoulder on this inquiry? Am I missing something here? I'm a virgin here, and I finally got the guts to ask a potentially stupid question and risk ridicule.......

I have been away from the jeep scene since the late 70's when I had a '48 willys jeepster w/ a 401 buick & muncie 4 speed in it. Armstrong tru-tracs were THE tire to get, and fabrication was a way of life. If Cepek or Rancho didnt have it you made it.
My question about my driveshaft is to perhaps draw on someone elses experience so's I have an idea what I'm in for.
Please, is there some one out there that has experience with lifting an XJ w/ a 228 type t-case ie: (slip joint in driveshaft NOT a slip yoke type). What are the limits?
Sorry about the rant its just that I feel ignored. Waaaa!

PS: I'd ask around, But hardcore 4 wheelers are rare in this part of Maine. I've only been here for less than a year, so I've no fellow jeepers to lean on. I did ALL my 4 wheelin in the So Cal (where there an off road shop on every corner now I understand) and jeepers abound!
Thats about the only thing I miss about home in So Cal.
Paddlerdan.

Back