• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Just bougth 96 Cherokee Classic 5spd

Gtivr6nh

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys,
Just recently purchased my first Jeep Cherokee. Have always loved Jeeps and was in need of a dependable daily driver/work vehicle. I picked up a 96 Cheroke Classic 5 Spd. with 126k on it. Overall the car looks in good shape for the mileage. Some rust areas underneath that I need to fix and need a few odds and ends. My question is what maintenance do you recomend me doing right away. Dont have any past maintenance reports on this vehicle. What fluids should I change? Sensors? Anything you would recomend me replacing to keep this jeep running long and strong. Thanks in advance for your help guys!

I would change pretty much everything. Oil change, transmission and tranny filter, transfer case, both differentials. Take a look at the coolant in the radiator and overflow bottle, and if it looks pretty dirty do a flush.

Being that you don't know the maintenance history of this jeep, I think I would probably change all fluids just so I knew how old they are. Alot of people will change oil regulary but completely ignore things like trans, rad, diffs, transfer case, etc. Hopefully if you bought from a private party, they can give some insight into what kind of services have been done, If it was a dealer, your on your own. Check belts, hoses, tune up parts, etc. I always change belts if they even look questionable, save old ones as spares (cherokees have a great spot for stuff like this under back seat). Check front end parts for wear (notice condition of tires-any cupping or uneven wear can be signs of this).Check u-joints and operation of 4wd now, before you accually need it!! Alot of times when I buy a used vehicle, I will go through them and replace any wear items that look questionable. I figure I would rather spend a couple hundred now than have things keep breaking over and over again leaving me stranded. Besides, having to get it towed just once can easily cost this!!!

Excellent that is everything I thought of doing. The one thing I have read different opinions on and I am sure has been talked about to death is whether or not to change the transmission fluids, is this a myth?

One more question any other websites you guys recomend for useful info for cherokees. I am a vw/audi guy so I have lists of website I go to for that but jeeps I am clueless.

As for the trans fluid thing, I think you are referring to automatics w/ high mileage. With a stick there aren't any wear items internally, so I think new fluid would be a good idea. (ie no clutches/ bands to start slipping or friction material to be stirred up inside tranny)

If your new to jeeps, you will soon discover that this I-6 engine is one of the most durable engines made. Can easily go 200,000+ with regular maintenance. I know of two myself that have well over 300,000 and still have original drivetrain and run perfectly (though one now burns approx. 1 quart oil between oil changes). With the millage your at I think I would expect to see some front end parts/ u-joint wear, if it hasn't been fixed already. Most of the problems people seem to post here are usually related to sensors/ electronics, or suspension/brakes. If you have problems you can most likely do a search and find some info here. Hope this helps

....and check your exhaust manifold for cracks. Very typical.

If you do a search for manual trans. gear oil, you will find that the AX-15 doesn't like GL5. Find GL3 (I couldn't find any locally) or just use redline MT90. I used MT90 and it made the shift to second much easier. HTH.

I have heard with an automatic tranny you can change the fluid fine, but not to change the filter.. is this correct?

TunaSoda said:
I have heard with an automatic tranny you can change the fluid fine, but not to change the filter.. is this correct?
The filter is just a big metal screen-to keep out the big chunks- it is not necessary to change or clean it ,unless you want to,most don,t bother.
Wayne

TunaSoda said:
On a high mileage vehicle, droping the pan to change fluid is probably a better idea than getting a "power flush" done. My reasoning is you are only changing about 1/3 of the fluid at a time this way. Kind of like freshening the fluid-getting rid of the old fluid a little at a time. But in the same respect, I've also seen "power flushes" save a tranny that was already slipping or having shifting problems. I guess maybe a good last resort before a rebuild.

As mentioned, change all fluids. And you may find as you open up some things, that the fluid is fairly new looking and it wasn't really necessary, but why not go ahead and start over with fresh fluid, that way YOU know it's been done.

I would also recomend doing a tune up (plugs, wires, cap and rotor)...again so that you know it's new and good to go. Probably wouldn't hurt to pull the throttle body off and give it a good cleaning.;

As far as sensors go, if it's running strong right now, I wouldn't touch them. No need in replacing them if they're not acting stupid, right?

Gtivr6nh said:
Hey Guys,
Just recently purchased my first Jeep Cherokee. I picked up a 96 Cheroke Classic 5 Spd. with 126k on it.

Good choice!

I second the Redline MT-90.
If you have the factory owners manual it says GL-5, but if you go to the dealer they will sell you GL-3 without the high sulfur content of GL-5 that eats the synchros.

Learn to search this site, most of the questions you will have have already been answered many times.

Cherokees are great for swaping parts from year to year. Most interior and exterior body parts will swap from 1984 ~ '96. Many mechanical parts interchange from all years.

So, WELCOME to NAXJA.

Consider a paid membership from all the $$ you will save and mistakes you won't make. That's one of the reasons I joined.

Mike

Back