• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacume canister

1989cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone had to replace the vacume tank under the battery? Can it be relocated under the hood like i see on some german cars ? VW's used to put a vacume tank made out of a bunch of small spears together! took up little room. Anyway mine is cracked and was clued about a year ago cracked again. I hope this is my high idle demon:dunno:

I relocated the one in my 95 under the hood, attached near the oil filter. It's kind of in the way, but easy enough to move. ON older Renix models, there's a little more room beneath the coolant tank. Convenience depends a little on whether you have the big oval tank or the smaller round one.

There's no real reason you couldn't use other types of tanks. If you have cruise control you need a fair amount of volume. My 87 had a double-chambered tank with one side for cruise, and the other for the heater controls and disconnect. The 95 has a single bigger tank, which is probably more than it needs just for the heater controls.

If you use another tank, make sure you have a check valve for it. The XJ tanks have a check valve built in, but not all others do.

Back