• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Changed my Power Steering Fluid

Rick Anderson

NAXJA Forum User
Just changed my Power Steering Fluid yesterday, looked like it definitely could use it. Done it before on Rack & Pinion vehicles, never a Recirculating Ball System.

*Front Axle on Jackstand, so the steering wheel could be turned lock to lock quickly without much effort.
*Removed as much fluid as possible from the PS Reservoir, using a turkey baster type tool.
*Cut the crimped clamp on the return hose from the PS Box to the Reservoir and pulled the hose off. I caught the remaining fluid in the reservoir with a rag, as it drained from the hose.
*Connected a tube (from local hardware store), to the return from the PS Box to a bucket to catch the old fluid.
*Turned the Steering Wheel Lock to Lock, quickly, (engine Off, the PS Pistons in the Box will pump the fluid thru, drawing it thru the pump (its an impeller type pump the fluid can pass thru it without turning it),no need to run the engine and pump). Continue until no more fluid comes out of the return line.
*Have a helper hold his finger over the open hole in the reservoir and add some fresh fluid. Repeat the turning the steering wheel from lock to lock to pump some fresh fluid thru as a flush. It needs it, a lot of old fluid will remain trapped in the system without flushing some fresh fluid thru.
*Reconnect everything (use a universal hose clamp to replace the crimped clamp you cut off) and fill with fresh fluid, turn the wheel lock to lock again to get all the remaining air out of the system. Top off the reservoir to the proper level.

It takes a lot more turning the steering wheel to pump the fluid thru, than a Rack & Pinion setup, as well, a lot more old fluid remains trapped in the system after it stops flowing. You really need to flush with fresh fluid to get it all out.

The old PS smelled fine, NOT burnt, but it was very dark and had a lot of particles floating in it. I used Redline Synthetic PS Fluid as the replacement.

Another difference between the Recirculating Ball and Rack & Pinion System. The fluid, although it looked rather old and dark in my Cherokee, it still looked like it had some life left. It was probably 12 years old in my Cherokee. In my Rack & Pinion vehicles, after only 2 years the PS fluid comes out burnt, cloudy, smelling god awful. So its safe to say Rack & Pinion is far harder on the fluid than Recirculating Ball Systems.

Very good idea and write up!!! Alot of people never change p/s fluid probably due to the fact there is no easy way to drain it. Also keep in mind this is a must if installing a new p/s pump, otherwise all the crud left in the lines and box will contaminate your new pump (and void its warranty). Just keep in mind it can take forever to bleed all the air out when you completely drain the system... Great post this should help alot of people!!!

Like the jacking part. I didn't do that (but should have). I cranked the engine while connecting the return hose through to a bucket/bottle, while poring in ps fluid. Works great, but just be careful not to flood the engine (don't ask).

Go-jeep even let's his engine run (http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoService.htm), so that works also...just make sure the pump doesn't run dry.

Back